Yes, raw egg coffee, you’ve read that right.
It might come as a shock but, yes, raw egg coffee is a thing, and a lot of coffee enthusiasts are adding raw eggs into their favorite cup of joe.
Usually, we add chocolate syrup, vanilla, or butter to add flavor to your coffee.
But apparently, throwing in a raw egg in your coffee creates a smoother, healthier, and overall tastier coffee.
Adding raw eggs into coffee is a common practice in the Vietnamese and Scandinavian culture. They do this by adding raw eggs into the coffee beans then brewing it like how you brew a regular coffee. It is not the most typical of things, but there are reasons why raw egg coffee is gaining traction in the coffee community.
Let us explore the wonders of raw egg coffee and why a lot of people are keen on trying it out.
Benefits of adding raw egg to your coffee
Adding raw eggs to coffee sounds very odd, yes, but there are reasons why it is becoming a trend. Here are just some of the benefits of adding raw eggs to your coffee and why you should consider doing it too.
Egg decreases bitterness in coffee
Adding a raw egg to your cup of joe can reduce its bitterness. Eggs are rich in proteins. According to experts, exposure to high temperature breaks the proteins in egg whites apart and binds to macromolecules instead.
In essence, when you add a raw egg to your coffee, the protein can bind to tannins, a substance that causes bitterness and reduces the bitter taste of your cup.
So, if you want to enhance your coffee and reduce some of its bitter taste, then you might want to add an egg to your recipe.
Egg coffee could keep you fuller for long
According to a nutritionist and personal trainer, Sirine Abu Zeine, egg coffee can make you feel fuller longer. According to her, coffee and egg is a good combination. Coffee can give the energy boost that you need while an egg is a good source of protein and fat.
A raw egg in your coffee might be the perfect day starter.
Egg yolks are excellent emulsifiers
Egg yolks are well-known for their emulsifying properties. Egg yolks can smooth out anything from dressings to sauces. Adding egg yolks can create a consistent, smooth salad dressing.
It does the same for coffee. So, if you want a delicious, rich, and consistent cup of coffee, try adding a raw egg into it.
Eggs are incredible sources of micronutrients
Eggs contain all the vitamins and minerals that are good for your body. Adding a raw egg to your coffee adds more nutritional value to your cup.
Now, maybe, you are thinking of adding raw egg to your coffee with all the nutritional benefits and rich consistency it offers. However, there are also some concerns about adding a raw egg to your coffee.
Raw egg coffee contains more calories
Although we said that among the benefits of adding raw egg to your coffee is that it can keep you fuller for a long time and contains micronutrients needed by your body, it is also true that raw egg coffee has more calories.
Compared to a regular coffee, a raw egg coffee contains more calories that are around. Keep this in mind before you decide to add a raw egg to your coffee recipe.
The risk of salmonella poisoning
Consuming raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning. Salmonella poisoning can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Although hot coffee can arguably cook eggs to avoid salmonella poisoning, this might not always be the case.
If you are thinking of adding raw eggs to your coffee, make sure that it’s hot enough to heat and cook the egg.
If you think about it, the benefits of cracking an egg for your coffee are a lot. Now, if you are thinking of adding raw eggs to your coffee, do it properly. Make sure that your coffee is hot enough to heat and cook the egg for safe consumption.
Why Do You Need the Right Amount of Coffee?
Coffee is an excellent energy booster, simply delicious, and offers a lot of benefits. But to properly benefit from coffee you have to drink just the right amount of coffee. The recommended limit is a maximum of 400 milligrams of caffeine per day.
If you stay within the limit, here are some of the benefits it brings:
Studies show that coffee drinkers are less likely to die from coronary heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure, which are some of the leading causes of death, especially in women.
Reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer’s
Some studies found that those who drank coffee are less likely to develop dementia. Caffeine can stimulate your brain and protect against developing a degenerative disease.
Reduce the risk of colorectal cancer
Cancer is a fatal disease with no identified cure. Drinking coffee can help you reduce the risk of developing such. According to studies, those who drink coffee were 26 percent less like to develop colorectal cancer.
Raw egg recipes you can try at home
Adding a raw egg directly to your coffee will taste like a disaster. If you are interested in trying a raw egg coffee, we prepared three simple raw egg recipes to show you how to make an egg coffee.
Scandinavian Egg Coffee
- One egg
- 20 g of coarsely ground coffee
- 400 ml of boiling water
- 300 ml of cold water
- Break the egg. Break the egg and put it into a bowl together with a ¼ cup of cold water and the coarsely ground coffee. Mix it all until it is all even and smooth.
- Add mixture to the coffee pot. After mixing the egg with the water and coffee ground, add the mixture into the coffee pot with 400g of boiling water. Let your mixture simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cold water. After boiling, add 100g of cold water onto your coffee and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Strain the coffee and serve. After the 2 minutes, you can now strain the coffee to reduce any coffee grounds or particles from your coffee. Serve it hot or iced as you prefer.
Vietnamese Egg Coffee
- 2 tbsp Vietnamese coffee (if you don’t have one, go for dark roast coffee)
- 3 cups of hot water
- 1-3 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Brew the coffee. Ideally, you need phin, a Vietnamese coffee filter, in brewing your coffee. But if this is not possible, you can use espresso or coffee made in a French press. Never use instant coffee.
- Beat Eggs. Break the eggs and put it in a small bowl with sugar, beat it until smooth.
- Add condensed milk. Fold in condensed milk. The amount depends on how sweet you prefer your coffee to be.
- Add the egg mixture to the coffee. With the coffee in a cup, spoon the egg mixture over the coffee.
- Add toppings. You can choose to add cinnamon or cocoa powder over your coffee if you prefer.
Primal Egg Yolk Coffee
- 1 ½ (350 ml) cup of coffee
- 3 egg yolks
- One teaspoon Sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Blend coffee with egg. Break the eggs, separate the yolks from the whites. Get the yolks and blend it with the coffee for around 3 minutes until smooth and consistent.
- Add sugar and salt. Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar into the mixture. then blend it a bit more.
- Serve. Pour the coffee out and serve. You can add additional flavors to your coffee like cinnamon, turmeric, butter, or vanilla essence. Experiment on which tastes the best for your coffee.
There are many ways to enjoy coffee. Adding a raw egg into it might not be among the first things that would come to mind. But as you have read, combining the energy boost and delicious taste of coffee with the health benefits of eggs can easily enhance the taste and nutritional value of your cup of joe.
You can give it a try and see if it fits for you. You might be surprised that you will come to love it.