Whenever you wake up in the morning, do you feel that your day is not complete without drinking a cup of coffee?
Some coffee enthusiasts believe that coffee can boost energy. And for others, they just love it because of its health benefits, including antioxidants, which can neutralize free radicals.
When it comes to the daily consumption of coffee, experts estimate it to be more than two billion (Source). It only proves that among the drinks available, coffee is among the best.
If you are one of those who love drinking coffee, you probably want to know how to make a perfect cup of coffee.
In this article, there are steps and some tips for you in making a cup of coffee that suits your taste. Are you ready?
Read on the highlights, steps, tips, and make sure you follow every single step without missing any.
Making The Perfect Cup of Coffee- Things to Consider
For all coffee lovers out there, you have a routine to wake up every morning and have a sip of your favorite coffee for sure. Do the brew at home without spending much on your choice of coffee. You can even save both your time and money if you make your coffee.
You may not be a professional barista, but you can make it perfect for sure! If you are aiming to have a cup of coffee like that which you always order, here are the highlights you need to know.
Choose Your Coffee Beans
When you look for coffee beans, you will notice that you don’t have only one option. Various types are available, and you must decide what coffee recipe you want to make before you buy coffee beans.
Your choices of coffee beans include Arabica, Robusta, Liberica, and Excelsa.
If you prefer the most common with a sweet and delicate flavor, choose Arabica. And if you want your coffee with a strong flavor, your best option would be Robusta.
Is a rare type of coffee beans you want? That can be quite challenging! Go for that Liberica coffee bean. Lastly, every coffee enthusiast would love the Excelsa with a unique flavor profile.
Look for a Freshly Roasted Coffee
For your coffee to be of high quality, an expert barista would even recommend you to have a freshly roasted coffee.
When you go to the market, and you don’t know which one to buy, don’t hesitate to ask the seller.
Although some sellers might say that all the coffee they sell is freshly roasted, although it’s not, you can try the one they give you.
You can consume the coffee within a week or a month of its roast date. The type of roast you buy would affect the coffee recipe you are going to make.
Prepare a High-Quality Coffee Grinder
Your goal is to make a perfect and quality cup of coffee. Among the devices that you need, you must prepare a coffee grinder.
Although ground coffee is available in the market, it would be good to do it on your own. And since we all have different taste preferences, it is up to your standard of what the perfect grind is.
Don’t forget your taste preference before grinding the roasted coffee. A good understanding of the 2 types of coffee ground will help you, the finer, and coarse ground.
Do you want your coffee sweet or caffeinated? If you want it sweet, then choose the finer grind, but if you prefer caffeinated, the coarse grind is your best choice.
Note: Don’t mix the coffee grinds. Otherwise, forget about your goal of making a perfect cup of coffee. You can avoid it by cleaning the coffee grinder regularly, especially after using it.
Related: Best Manual Coffee Grinders
Choose the Best Coffee Brewing Method
Brewing devices are available on the market. If you don’t have one at home and you want to purchase, choose a high-quality brewing device. If you are brave enough to do some experiment with your coffee, you can surely make a perfect cup of coffee.
Related: Best Brewing Method in Making Coffee
You may not be as good as a professional barista, but you can have that title at home soon.
Some of the most popular brewing devices that you can use include the Chemex, French Press, Aeropress, and Home Espresso Machine.
Each of these devices brings different results.
Water Quality and Temperature for a Perfect Flavor Profile
Consider the quality and amount of water that agitates the coffee beans. Use water containing fewer minerals.
If you get it right, you will have the flavor that you want. The water’s temperature also matters. When you pour water at a higher temperature, expect a coffee that’s not bitter.
Note: It is not advisable to re-boil the water. Once it has reached the right temperature, pour it in a cup with coffee after 30 seconds. You can also test the water’s pH.
Tips to Remember
Some might think that making a perfect cup of coffee is almost impossible, while others think it’s a piece of cake. At first, beginners might feel that the process is complicated.
Do you want to know if it’s easy or the other way around? You must try it.
Below are some tips to help you. If you can’t afford to have your brewing coffee device, that won’t stop you from making a great cup of coffee. You can make use of the alternatives, a cone, and a filter.
- Consider the water you are going to use for your coffee. Make sure it is clean.
- The measurement of coffee must be perfect. If you prefer ground coffee, then measure 2 tbsp. for 6 oz. of water.
- Water temperature is also a necessary factor in making a perfect cup of coffee. It must not be higher than 205 degrees and not lower than 195 degrees.
- When you boil water, don’t pour it immediately to brew the coffee. Wait for about 30 seconds.
- When you rinse the filter, don’t use cold or warm water. Instead, use hot water before using it to brew coffee.
- Pour the right amount of water and wait for 30 to 45 seconds until you can continually pour water to have a flavorful coffee.
- Make sure to drink your coffee as soon as you finish brewing it.
Keep in mind the tips mentioned above, and do your best to make the best cup of coffee with love and dedication.
How to Make a Perfect Cup of Coffee (Step-by-step Instructions)
If you are serious about making a perfect cup of coffee, whether it is for you or your loved ones, follow the step-by-step instructions below. But before you begin, make sure to prepare the things you need. The following steps apply to a pour-over coffee.
Things you will need:
- Coffee Grinder
- 20 ounces filtered water
- Water kettle
- 30 g coffee beans
- Prepare the filtered water and coffee beans that you will grind later. Take note that perfect measurement is necessary.
- Prepare the coffee grinder and grind the coffee. Instead of a finer grind, choose a coarse grind.
- Fill the kettle with water that you already measured and wait until it boils.
- After grinding the coffee, add it to the filter while water is boiling.
- If the water you boil is ready, pour it after 30 seconds.
- Let the coffee grounds bloom. Do it by pouring water onto the grounds until all are wet. When bubbles form, it only means your coffee is blooming. Allow it to bloom for 30 seconds.
- Do the brew pour, and make sure you do it right. When you pour water over the grounds, do it steadily and evenly.
- After having your desired water measurement, you can stop the brew pour.
- Check it first that no water drips before removing the filter and coffee grounds.
- You can now remove both the filter and coffee grounds.
- Pour the coffee in a mug. Add some coffee add-ins.
- Serve and enjoy the sip.
Note: Don’t miss any of the steps for you to get the coffee you desire. When you miss even a single step, you have to do it again from the start. Do some practice runs if you want. You can do it!