Many of us take a freezer for granted, considering that they are usually already attached to your refrigerator. However, once you go around shopping for one, there is more to it than you might think.
Like all products, freezers come in numerous sizes, shapes, and styles. Depending on your household’s size, the freezer would also have to be equipped with specific features to cope with the demands.
As already mentioned, they usually come with a refrigerator. However, most of the time, these freezers tend to be too small and have limited space. One of the many freezers available in the market is the upright freezer.
Considered as the most popular, upright freezers are compact and convenient to have around. You can easily fit them through doors, and they come in various styles and colors that can complement any interior. Moreover, many users like it since they come with the necessary dividers and compartments for easy storage and organization.
To find the best upright freezer in the market, you must do extensive research on the topic.
This article will provide the necessary information and a review section, and a buying guide to help you start.
10 Best Upright Freezers in 2021 (Reviews)
- Reversible Door Hinge - allows right or left side opening, which makes it easy to fit any spot of your room
- Product dimensions – 19.3” W x 21.37” D x 33.9” H | Internal capacity – 3.0 cu. Ft. | Weight – 57.2 lbs. | Temperature rating – -11.2ᵒ F to 10.4ᵒ F | Voltage – 120V
The Midea freezer comes in a sleek, black design that would look good on any countertop. Moreover, the freezer is Energy Star certified, making it energy efficient.
I like the design of this freezer. For one, it’s tiny and compact so that it can fit perfectly in small spaces. As such, it is ideal for those with limited spaces.
Another thing I like is that it’s designed to be convenient. The freezer’s door hinge enables the user to open the device on either side.
The Midea freezer comes with two shelves for you to store and organize your food items. It also comes with an adjustable wire basket. I like how the freezer also enables the user to control and adjust the temperature. You can quickly defrost it by yourself.
- Sleek and stylish and Energy Star certified
- Comes with removable shelves
- Temperature control and reversible door hinge
- Might be too small
- EUHOMY - RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FOOD - Euhomy’s mini freezer uses 3D refrigeration technology, and rapid cooling technology is good for food fresh and storage. The internal capacity (1.1 cu.ft) and the multilayer structure allow you to have more choices. It can not only provide ample storage space for food/fruit/vegetables/seafood/ice cream, but also prevent odor, allowing you to enjoy clean and odorless food all the time.
- YOU CAN USE IT VERY EASILY - The small freezer does not require additional installation and very easy to use. The streamlined shape design and the weight control of each component make the freezer very easy to move. You can change the position of the freezer at any time according to changes in demand. Not only that, it will not take up too much space for you. You can determine whether the size of the freezer meets your needs before buying. SIZE: (precise): 17.4"L x 17.6"D x 19.5"H.
Coming in black, the Euhomy mini freezer features a sleek and classic look. This freezer is streamlined and compact, making it easy to move around. With its size, it’s ideal for smaller kitchens.
The Euhomy mini freezer comes with 3D refrigeration technology, which provides a cool and fresh environment. With its thermostat, you can adjust the freezer’s temperature from -7.60 degrees Fahrenheit to 6.80 degrees Fahrenheit.
This product is also energy efficient. Aside from its Energy Star certification, the freezer also comes with a compressor that ensures that the freezer works efficiently.
Euhomy’s freezer also comes with extra features. With its reversible door and built-in handle, you can open the door in any way. The freezer’s adjustable feet ensure that the product is stable. It also comes with adjustable shelves for easy storage.
- 3D refrigeration technology
- 7-level temperature control and adjustable components
- Classic design, small and compact
- Bit noisy
- Energy Star rated (uses less power than a light blub); Low noise level. Perfect for storing breast milk, ice cream and frozen food.
- Freestanding setup (clearance around the unit is needed); 1.1 cu. ft. total storage volume; Product external dimensions: 18.5″W x 17.7″ D x 19.5″ H
Made of stainless steel, the Whynter freezer comes in black, which gives it a classic and modern look. With this material, the freezer is durable and long-lasting.
Moreover, this freezer is Energy Star certified. As such, it is 20% more efficient compared to other models. Whynter’s freezer comes with a thermostat that enables you to change and adjust its temperature easily. You can choose from 7 different settings to ensure that your food is kept fresh and cold. I like this freezer’s shelves.
With two shelves, you can organize and store your food items neatly. However, you can also remove the wire shelf if you wish.
I also like how secure and safe this product is. Compared to other units, Whynter’s freezer comes with a cylinder lock and two keys. This feature is excellent for those with kids.
- Durable and classic design
- Removable shelf and low noise level
- Small and comes with security features.
- No auto-defrost
- 【Upright Freezer Dimensions】: 1.1 cubic feet free standing upright freezer, Measures: 17.5”(W)*18.5”(D)*19.6”(H).Compact Freezer saving design.Great using for breast milk, meat, aquatic products, cold drinks, quick-freezing and other purposes.Perfect for Home,Dorms,Kitchen and Office.
- 【Thermostat control on the back】: Adjustable 7-grade temperature control on the back of Freezer to select your desired temperature.“1” being the warmest and “7” being the coldest. Initially set the temperature on “4”. Temperature can be controlled from -7.6℉ to 6.8℉（- 14℃ to - 22℃).
The Kismile upright freezer comes in three color options: white, black, and stainless steel. It also comes in three different sizes: 2.1 cubic ft, 1.1 cubic ft., and 3.2 cubic ft. With these options, you can pick a model that you like.
This mini freezer is small and compact, making it ideal for those with small and limited spaces. Its reversible door feature is convenient, allowing the user to open it on any side. The adjustable legs also fully support the device.
I like how this product is quiet while operating, only having noise levels less than 40 decibels. As such, you wouldn’t worry about it waking you up at night.
Kismile’s freezer is also Energy-efficient since it bears an Energy Star sticker. Its thermostat comes in 7 different temperature settings, allowing you to cut back on energy costs.
- Offers many options
- Quiet operation and compact
- Adjustable temperature and energy efficient
- Bit pricey
- Space Saving Compact Upright Freezer: This freestanding small freezer with 17.5 x 18.3 x 19.8 inches measurement and 1.1 cubic feet capacity is perfectly sized to keep your favorite food in a deep freeze while taking up less space in your college dorm, apartment, garage or office. Perfect for when you want a 'ready to eat' meal on hand or to satisfy a craving
- Mechanical Temperature Control: By turning the thermostat knob, our manual defrost freezing machine can be adjusted to seven temperature settings from -20℃ to -14℃ (-4°F to 6.8°F): “1” is the warmest and “7” is the coldest. Ideal for keeping snacks, ice cream, drink or ice cubes, as well as breast milk. At first, set at “4” and after 24 hours set to your desired setting
The hOmelabs upright freezer is made of stainless steel and comes in a black/silver combination. As such, it easily complements and blends into any room.
I like how this mini refrigerator comes with an adjustable temperature option. You can adjust up to seven temperature settings, with “1” being the hottest and “7” being the coldest. With this setting, you can manually defrost your freezer.
The hOmelabs upright freezer is also practical in terms of design. Its reversible door enables the user to open the product on any side. You can also adjust its legs to stabilize the machine.
Unlike similar products, this freezer also comes with a cylindrical door lock and keys. Once the fridge is locked, it can only be open using the keys. This feature makes it ideal for those with kids and pets.
- Adjustable temperature control
- Reversible door and removable shelf
- Comes with a cylindrical door lock and keys and adjustable legs
- Exterior scratches easily
- 3.0 cu.ft. net capacity; UL approved; Energy Star
- Reversible door; Recessed handle
The SPT upright freezer is made of stainless steel and comes with a shiny gray exterior. With its color scheme, it can fit in easily with any aesthetic and design.
With a capacity of 3 cubic feet, this freezer can fit and store numerous frozen items. Its three shelves let the user keep things neatly. However, you also have the option of removing the wire bracket when necessary.
I like how SPT’s freezer is adjustable and convenient. Aside from its shelves, the freezer also has adjustable legs to make it more stable. With its reversible door, you can open the freezer on any side.
SPT’s freezer is also energy efficient as it comes with an Energy Star sticker. With this certification, the freezer does not consume as much electricity, enabling you to save on electricity costs.
- The capacity of 3 cubic feet
- Has three shelves and energy efficient
- Adjustable temperature and reversible door
- Exterior scratches easily
- UL CERTIFICATED- Our Compact single door upright freezer is UL certificated, all the items are tested to ensure safety and longevity, we can guarantee that you will receive a safe, efficient and well built upright freezer
- REVERSIBLE STAINLESS STEEL DOOR- With the the top hinge cover, you can install the door to left or right direction according your personal usage habit and reverse the stainless steel door conveniently
The ROVSUN upright freezer comes in a sleek white exterior and user-friendly design. With its reversible door and built-in handle, you can open the product’s door easily on any side.
Moreover, it comes with adjustable leveling legs for stability and support. With its size, it is ideal for those with small and limited spaces.
ROVSUN’s freezer has an Energy Star sticker, ensuring that its energy is efficient. It also has a UL-certification, which indicates that the product is safe to use and effective.
I like how the freezer comes with a thermostat that enables you to adjust the freezer’s temperature in 7 different settings. You can access the knob at the back of the freezer. The freezer has two shelves for you to store your food items neatly.
However, you also have the option of removing the other one for your convenience.
- UL-certification for peace of mind in quality and performance
- Comes in two sizes for more options
- User-friendly design and removable shelf for added convenience
- The exterior quickly gets dirty.
- PERFECTLY QUIET - Unlike other upright freezers, the Northair Upright Freezer combines a modern design with a whisper quiet compressor which means you can say goodbye to low level hums and enjoy the sound of silence. Feel more relaxed in your own home with reduced noise distractions.
- OPTIMAL STORAGE - At 1.1 Cubic Feet, the Northair Mini Freezer is compact enough for the modern home however spacious enough to store a sizable amount of food. Each freezer measures 17.5" (L) x 18.6" (W) x 19.6" (H) and is light and easy to move.
Made of stainless steel, the Northair upright freezer comes in three different sizes and three different colors you can choose from. With these options, you can indeed find a model that can suit your tastes.
I like how this freezer was designed. With its reversible door hinge and built-in handle, you can easily access the freezer. Its adjustable legs give it more stability and support.
Northair’s freezer also enables the user to adjust the temperature. With its 7-dial thermostat, you change the temperature from -10 degrees Celsius to -2
2 degrees Celsius. Compared to other units, this freezer offers a colder temperature.
With its Hush technology, the Northair freezer is also quiet in its operation. It comes with two shelves that you can adjust and remove. It even has a wire basket for extra storage.
- Hush technology for quiet operation
- User-friendly design and with 7-dial thermostat
- Has an extra wire basket
- Bit pricey
- Interior LED lighting lets you see everything clearly so it's easier to find
- Electronic external temperature control make adjusting the settings quick and simple
The GE upright freezer is made of stainless steel and comes in a pure white color that can match any interior. With a capacity of 17.3 cubic feet, it can store an ample amount of food items and beverages.
I like its design. It comes with a LED light that indicates that the machine is running. Moreover, its leveling legs stabilize the device and give it the necessary support.
The freezer comes with four adjustable glass shelves, four in-door shelves, and three baskets. With these at your arsenal, you have plenty of options as to storage.
Compared to other freezers, the GE freezer comes with a temperature alarm. I like this since it alerts the user if the freezer is not maintaining its usual temperatures. GE’s freezer also comes with a door lock, which is excellent for those living with children.
- 17.3 cubic feet capacity
- Lots of shelves and storage space
- Has a temperature alarm and Adjustable temperature
- Non-reversible door
- ★ Space Saving ★- The mini portable vertical freezer has a small footprint and is perfect for your kitchenette. The removable slide-out chrome frame provides a means to store more food storage needs. Size: 17.5"W x 18.6"D x 19.6"H .
- ★ Modern and Elegant Design★ - The 1.1 cubic feet free standing upright freezer has a stylish and sleek exterior with a reversible stainless steel door, adjustable horizontal leg design and the top hinge cover.Reversible Door-You can reverse the door conveniently to choose the opening direction .
With its sleek black exterior, the KUPPET upright freezer provides a stylish and classic look that will fit well in any interior. With a 1.1 cubic feet capacity, it can hold several food items. Moreover, it’s made of safe and durable material.
I like how this freezer is designed. With a reversible door and built-in handle, the freezer is easy to open on whatever side. The adjustable leveling legs is also convenient since it stabilizes the machine, especially in uneven surfaces.
KUPPET’s freezer comes with a 7-dial thermostat that enables you to adjust the temperature quickly. It has a range of -8 degrees Fahrenheit to 7 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can access the knob at the back of the freezer. It comes with two shelves, the other one being removable to suit your needs.
- Made of safe and durable materials
- Comes in two colors and has 7-dial thermostat settings
- Convenient to use and clean and has an adjustable shelf
- Bit pricey
Having an excellent upright freezer at your disposal can immensely help your kitchen. While most refrigerators already come with a freezer, sometimes it might be too small to fit your food inside.
With an upright freezer, you can store your food quickly. Plus, you can keep them fresher for a while longer.
However, upright freezers come in numerous sizes and styles that you can choose from. Besides that, you’ll have to factor in the features you need and its budget. With all these to keep in mind, finding the best upright freezers can seem like a daunting task.
Nevertheless, you do not have to worry. This buying guide will list down all the points you need to remember when shopping.
The size of your upright freezer should be the first factor that you want to consider. For one, size determines how fast the freezer can achieve colder temperatures. The smaller the freezer, the faster it freezes.
Before buying, it’s a great idea to catalog and determine how much you want the freezer to hold. Observe the frequency and bulk of your grocery shopping. Do you buy numerous frozen products? How many do you purchase in a month?
Aside from that, it’s also prudent to factor in the freezer’s possible location in your kitchen. You will need to make sure that the freezer can fit. Otherwise, you’ll have a cramped workspace.
Luckily, upright freezers come in various sizes. Larger units that measure 34-inches and above are great for larger households or those running a business. If you just want the extra space, you can opt to purchase one measuring in the 22- to 30-inch models.
Temperature and Climate Classification
The FDA recommends setting your freezer’s temperature at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or -18 degrees Celsius. This temperature is enough to keep your products fresh and frozen.
However, a freezer’s temperature can get affected by the climate they are kept in. If you plan to place the freezer in your kitchen or inside your house, then it’s okay- you don’t have to worry about this.
This problem only arises if you plan on putting it outside, like in a garage and the like. In these locations, the freezer might not be as cold to freeze your products that well.
As such, you will need to check the freezer’s optimum range. By doing so, you will find some models that work perfectly in outside conditions.
Out of all your appliances, your freezer is one of those that needs to run consistently. As such, it represents a big chunk of your energy expenses.
To cut down on costs, look for a model that comes with an Energy Star sticker, which indicates that the freezer unit is Energy efficient. Aside from that, some freezers also come with other energy-saving features.
Compartments and Dividers
Unlike other freezer types, upright freezers are easier to access and more comfortable to store your frozen products in.
Most upright freezer models come with dividers and compartments that keep your food neat and organized. As such, you can use the space efficiently. Some upright freezers even come with shelves that you can adjust according to your preference.
Manual or Self-Defrost
Your upright freezer will develop some ice on its edges with constant use, affecting the freezer’s performance. As such, you will need to defrost it.
Manual defrost freezers mean that you will have to defrost the unit yourself. This process can take quite some time, depending on the ice buildup. Plus, you will need to find a place to store your food items while defrosting.
On the other hand, self-defrost freezer models do the job for you. However, they tend to be expensive as well. They can also be quite loud, especially when in the defrosting process.
Freezers also produce noise to a certain extent. Since they need to run 24/7, you might want to purchase a freezer that does not make too much noise. Manual-defrost freezers tend to be quieter compared to self-defrosting ones.
You can read up reviews on various upright freezer models and check to see their reputations on noise production if you can.
Blackouts and brownouts can happen unexpectedly. As such, you want to make sure that your frozen products will remain in good condition even during a power outage. Otherwise, your food might spoil and get smelly.
Again, it is best to check on user reviews to determine a freezer unit’s performance.
Freezers come in various styles and designs, ranging from monochrome and straightforward looks to metallic and loud colors. Choosing what to get depends on the user’s taste and preference. It also needs to match the interior of the user’s kitchen.
You might also want to consider these extra features.
Temperature Alarm: This extra feature automatically turns on when the freezer exceeds a specific temperature. As such, it alerts the user that the freezer is not maintaining its usual temperature range.
Dial Thermostat: This indicates the freezer’s temperature and even lets the user adjust it accordingly.
Freezer Lock: If you live with children or pets, a freezer lock might be useful since it prevents them from accidentally opening it.
Zone Freezing: This high-tech feature is only available to specific models. What this does is that it keeps individual sections in your freezer at different temperatures.
Soft Freeze: Some freezers also come with a soft freeze feature, a section dedicated to ice cream and other similar food. With this installed, you can keep the ice cream at just the right temperature to preserve its creaminess and consistency.
Door Alarm: A door alarm alerts the user that the unit is not closed correctly. This feature is quite useful since it helps in reducing the freezer’s energy consumption.
Power-on Light: This is a light located outside your freezer, indicating if the unit is plugged on or not.
Drainage holes: Having drainage holes at the bottom of your freezer makes it easier to defrost and clean the unit.
How to Organize Your Freezer
Now that you know what features to look out for, it’s time to understand how to organize your freezer’s contents. No matter how big your freezer may be, it will never be enough if you store your items haphazardly.
This video will give you some tips and tricks when it comes to organizing your freezer.
Out of the products listed, the Midea MRU01M3ABB Freezer is the best upright freezer to purchase. It is the perfect combination of aesthetics and practicality.
For one, it comes in a sleek and stylish look and a user-friendly design. With its reversible door and built-in handle, you can easily open and access your refrigerator.
Moreover, it’s small and compact, which makes it easy to handle and carry. It can fit well for those with limited spaces.
The freezer also comes with the necessary features, such as removable shelves and an adjustable thermostat. The freezer is too quiet in its operation, ensuring that you wouldn’t be disturbed at night.
Lastly, it is durable and energy-efficient. With these features, the freezer can last for a long time.
Today’s deals on Our Top Pick