Most coffee lovers are environmentally-friendly. So, instead of using and trashing too much plastic, why not use the best travel coffee mug?
Not only will you help cut the piling trash on this planet, but you’ll also enjoy the kind of coffee you’ll always go home to.
The idea of bringing a travel coffee mug is perfect, yet, how will you enjoy your coffee if it’s already iced-cold instead of hot?
In addition, with the bumps and knocks on your journey, do you think there’s a mug that’ll keep your coffee safe and hot after several hours?
Thankfully, there are tons of well-designed, durable, and reliable vacuum flasks in the market.
This article will give you 10 highly sought-after travel mugs that’ll make your heart throb for your next adventure.
Let’s get started.
Top 10 Best Travel Coffee Mugs in 2023
- Thermos Travel Mug
- Contigo Autoseal Vacuum-Insulated Travel Mug
- Bubba Classic Insulated Desk Mug
- Contigo Luxe Travel Mug
- YETI Rambler Mug
- Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug
- Ello Campy Vaccum Insulated Water Bottle
- Stanley Classic Trigger-Action Travel Mug
- Bubba Straw Envy Tumbler
- S’well Stainless Steel Travel Mug
Thermos Travel Mug
Who hasn’t heard about Thermos? It’s a great brand of reliable vacuum flasks. And, to fuel your excitement, we’ll start with the Thermos Travel Mug.
This 16 oz travel mug with handle is ultra-durable since it’s made of stainless-steel interior and exterior. It has a leakproof drink lock sealing lid so your favorite coffee (and other beverages) stay safe and secure inside. Though you load it with hot drinks, it’ll stay cool outside and condensation-free, too.
When using it with hot coffee, it promises to keep the temperature for seven (7) hours. On the other hand, for cold drinks, you have 18 long hours to enjoy it. Unlike other flasks, Thermos creates airless space between the two walls to avoid temperature change.
If at some point you need to consume tea, it has a built-in tea hook that can securely hold tea bags and most tea infusers. It measures 3.9 × 3.3 × 7.6 inches and weighs 15.7 ounces — your next go-to travel mug.
- Keeps hot coffee hot for a very long time
- Truly leakproof, even if you put it sideways
- Cap can be disassembled easily for thorough cleaning
- Not dishwasher safe — there’s inconsistency with the specs
- The lid and the handle aren’t as durable as the body
- Nice finish but easily scratches and peels off
Contigo Autoseal Vacuum-Insulated Travel Mug
Like the Thermos flask above, Contigo Autoseal Vacuum-Insulated Travel Mug can also hold hot drinks for up to seven (7) hours and cold up to 18 hours. Yet, it’s relatively cheaper and more compact. It doesn’t have a handle though but has an easy one-hand design that opens the lid with a push of a button.
Whether you store it upright or sideways, your drinks are safe and secure with its spill-proof lid. Since it utilizes Autoseal technology, spillage will always be avoided. Likewise, the lock feature prevents unintended pushing of the button — it’s very safe.
The lid of this mug has one connected piece design, so there’s no way you’ll misplace a piece. You can toss it to the top shelf of your dishwasher (and also the body of the stainless-steel model), but the colored models should be hand-washed only. Made of stainless steel construction, this 20 oz travel coffee mug is best for any outdoor adventures.
- Lives up to its promises of keeping your coffee hot/cold
- Easy to drink from with its handy button, which is secure, too
- Has more capacity, yet it’s slim and compact
- Paint will easily come off, especially if you toss it into the dishwasher
- After sipping, even when you close it, it’ll spill and leak
- Since the lid is one connected piece, innards aren’t accessible for cleaning
Bubba Classic Insulated Desk Mug
If you consume a high dose of coffee throughout the day, you can just prepare it once and enjoy it all day long. With the Bubba Classic Insulated Desk Mug, you have 52 oz of your favorite coffee, which can be kept hot (when you like hot) or cold for hours. To be exact, you have hot coffee available within three (3) hours and cold coffee for up to 12 hours.
No external sweating because it comes with foam insulation between the two polyurethane walls and stainless-steel bands. All parts are BPA-free, so health-conscious coffee drinkers will enjoy their drinks from this large-capacity keg-shaped mug.
It has a tough and ergonomic handle — all the more it’s comfortable and you can avoid spills and mess. It can resist accidental bumps and drops, plus a nice bottle opener under the handle. You can also opt for a 32 oz model, but the 52 oz has a price that’s very hard to beat.
- Easy to hand wash and you can clean it thoroughly
- Keeps things cool inside without condensation drips
- Extremely durable, doesn’t break or dent when dropped
- Don’t fit into any cup holder in your vehicle
- Lid is a bit challenging to put on and take off
- May leak at the bottom, especially with iced drinks
Contigo Luxe Travel Mug
You need to clean your coffee mug thoroughly to enjoy the natural taste of your coffee. The Contigo travel mug we described above is great, but one of its downsides is the challenge of cleaning the lid inside out. If you like the sleekness of Contigo travel mug, check out Contigo Luxe Travel Mug.
It shares some of its stunning features from the above-mentioned Contigo coffee mug, except for two things. It’s smaller, with only 16 oz capacity and the underside of the lid pops open for more thorough cleaning. In addition, you can also put both the lid and the body on the top rack of your dishwasher.
Still, it’s made of stainless-steel double-wall vacuum insulation with an Autoseal lid. Leak- and mess-free, allowing you to satisfy your hot coffee cravings even after five (5) hours and up to 12 hours for cold drinks. Likewise, it still has lock feature and one-hand drink convenience.
- No leaks, the lock feature is the selling point of this mug
- Simple and very easy to clean – just follow the recommendations
- Can hold and drink with one hand, very handy
- The top gets hotter if you have hot beverages inside
- Big opening, your drink comes gushing when you sip
- Doesn’t really keep your coffee warm after several hours
YETI Rambler Mug
If you want a shatterproof coffee mug that you can bring even on winter camping, go for YETI Rambler Mug. It comes in different color finishes; thus, you have varied choices. While we have minor issues with the color finish in the prior products, Rambler comes with Duracoat color — no scratching, fading, or even peeling.
Although it’s kind of small with only 14 oz capacity, you can hold it carefully with its full-loop triple grip handle. It’s durable, at the same time, the handle is wide enough so you can hold it even with mitts. It’s among the few travel mugs that fulfill their promise of puncture- and rust-free build.
All the vacuum flasks in the Rambler family are made of kitchen-grade stainless steel that guarantees durability and longevity. It’s dishwasher safe and BPA-free, no need to doubt or have second thoughts. You can rely on its double-wall insulation to keep your coffee beverages at its desirable temperature until your last sip.
- Secure lid, but it’s not difficult to put on or take off
- Handle is big enough, yet very comfortable to hold
- Overall construction is sturdy — just the perfect size
- Your hot drinks will rush out when you tip to drink
- Not the typical YETI quality, won’t keep your coffee warm at all
- Nice regular mug, but not a thermal vacuum flask
Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug
Through time the interior wall of your vacuum insulated mug may accumulate dirt and stain which can alter the taste of your coffee. To avoid this, Zojirushi utilized electro-polishing technology for the interior wall of its flasks. SlickSteel finish, as what they call it, uses an electrically-charged polishing process to create a nice finish inside that’s also easy to clean.
Among its vacuum flasks that showcase this kind of interior finish is the Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug. The 18/8 stainless steel interior is corrosion-resistant, no stains, and ultra-clean. The outer wall is made of a BPA-free plastic which looks stunning.
This has a 16 oz capacity, in which the content is secured via the flip-open lid with safety lock feature. Taking advantage of its very own vacuum insulation technology, there is technically no air in between the walls. Consequently, the temperature outside won’t affect your coffee inside; it’ll stay cold (or hot) for six (6) hours.
- Truly leakproof and has the true Zojirushi quality
- Great lid-locking system to prevent from opening accidentally
- Nice push button for opening the lid — very convenient
- The tiny plastic inside easily breaks with expensive replacement
- Doesn’t have a handle, but it’s slim and easy to grip
- The stopper may bump your nose while drinking
Ello Campy Water Bottle
Some people drink coffee in style. Aside from the kind of coffee you prefer to drink, sometimes, you are also very particular about how your mug looks. Thankfully, Ello Campy Water Bottle has both a stunning exterior finish and the ability to keep your hot/cold beverages delicious for hours.
This travel mug is unique among all mugs on the list. It’s a 16 oz vacuum insulated stainless steel travel mug with a very comfortable handle. Designed for taking your favorite coffee on the road, it is also leakproof guaranteed.
Aside from its comfortable handle, it also has Ello’s patented sealing slider that can easily be opened or closed even with one hand. It keeps your cold drinks for up to 10 hours and your hot beverages for 5 hours.
All parts are BPA-free and the lid is dishwasher safe. With a combination of vintage aesthetics and leakproof slider, nothing beats this mug in terms of convenience.
- Great at keeping your hot drinks at its ideal temperature
- Nice handle, very comfortable to hold
- Stunning vintage look, which came exactly as advertised
- Drinks flow slower because there’s only a small opening
- Paint easily chips off, especially on the rim
- Kind of awkward when drinking with the lid on
Stanley Classic Trigger-Action Travel Mug
With more than a century of history and performance, Stanley is one of the trusted brands when it comes to vacuum insulation and travel mugs. And, the Stanley Classic Trigger-Action Travel Mug is just what any coffee lovers need. It’s a well-thought and well-designed travel mug that you won’t regret.
Easy to operate and handy, this 20 oz travel mug also promises durability and longevity. Because it features double-wall vacuum insulation, your hot coffee stays hot for 9 hours and your cold drinks for 12 hours. It’s made with BPA-free, 18/8 stainless steel to assure that it’s leakproof and lightweight.
What’s the most interesting aspect of a Stanley travel mug is the trigger-action push-button lid. Just push a button and drink, close it up conveniently without the need to disturb your other hand. The lid can be assembled easily, hence you can clean it thoroughly. It is dishwasher safe, too.
- Easy one-hand use, comfortable to hold and drink from
- Rugged and reliable to keep your coffee hot
- Leakproof lid so you can throw it in your backpack
- The push-button may pop off and broke
- Rubber and the gasket may alter the taste of your drinks
- Has design flaws, the rubber piece easily comes off
Bubba Straw Envy Tumbler
You don’t want stale coffee or even the funny smell if you open your travel mug to take a sip, right? Let’s check out the Bubba Straw Envy Tumbler. It’s a double-walled vacuum-insulated stainless-steel tumbler with a large plastic straw.
Plastic? Yes, but it’s BPA free, along with the lid for easy gulping without spilling. If you don’t want the straw, you can still drink conveniently from this tumbler. All parts are top-rack dishwasher safe — a good advantage over other products on this list.
With its slim design of only 3.62 × 3.93 × 10.54 inches, it can fit into most car cup holders. It has a silicone base pad to keep it in place without sliding or slipping.
This 24 oz tumbler efficiently locks in temperature giving you hot drinks up to 6 hours or cold drinks up to 12 hours. Backed with a lifetime guarantee, it can keep you company for life.
- The cup seems to be of high quality and very sleek
- Really keeps your cold drinks at the ideal temperature
- Easy to grab and hold, especially with the cut out
- The straw opening is too wide, your drinks come out gushing
- Top is not leakproof and knocks off easily
- Drinking straw that comes with it was broken and kind of hard
S’well Stainless Steel Travel Mug
If you are an iced cold coffee addict who craves cold coffee round the clock, here’s a travel coffee mug best for you. The S’well Stainless Steel Travel Mug keeps you awake and kicking because you’ll be enjoying your cold coffee for up to 26 hours. Such an advantage can be credited to its triple-layered vacuum-insulated body and leakproof top.
It has a large opening so you can easily fill it with ice cubes or refilling with your coffee drinks. Since it’s insulated with copper, it’s definitely a sweat-free and leak-free mug. Additionally, this mug is BPA-free with an 18/8 premium food-grade stainless-steel body.
Unfortunately, it’s not dishwasher safe, thus, you must do the dirty job of cleaning it. However, it’s just a minor issue for what it’s worth. With tons of different color varieties to choose from, express yourself and be in style as you indulge all day with your coffee favorites.
- Nice design with just the perfect size
- It does a great job keeping your coffee hot, too
- Impressive texture on the surface improves your grip
- The lid stuck easily and may build rust
- Kind of expensive, falls short on performance
- It’s great when it works, but doesn’t last long
Even with the ten products that we have on the list, maybe you are still confused. For one, the fight is head-to-head — with clear pros and cons.
While no two travel mugs are made equal, there is also no perfect product at all. But there will always be criteria to pick the best travel coffee mug for anyone’s needs. Without further ado, here are a few things to consider so you’ll be guided on your quest.
Hot or Cold
Even though coffee mugs are made with the same materials, one could be better at storing hot drinks than cold beverages. With this, you must determine whether your mug needs to store hot or cold drinks, most of the time. Even though these mugs promise to keep hot or cold drinks, you definitely must choose the one that has the best performance whether hot or cold.
There are different types of lids — how it attaches to the mug and how you open/close it. Regardless of the manner of opening/closing the lid, it should be leakproof.
It’s the first line of defense to keep your coffee safe and at its optimal temperature. Check out Quality Logo Products Blog for the types of lid in a travel coffee mug.
Material and Insulation
Whether you want your coffee hot or cold, you have that specific hotness/coldness of your drinks which you enjoy. Hence, you must get a travel mug with the right material and insulation system.
There are ceramic, plastic, foam, polystyrene, and stainless-steel mugs. And, of all these, the most suitable for travel is stainless steel. It keeps your coffee hot for longer and it won’t alter the flavor of your drinks.
Easy to Clean
If you stay in the wilderness for extended periods, you still want to enjoy the same taste of coffee you’ll wake up to at home. If you can’t clean your travel mug thoroughly, it’ll definitely affect the taste soon enough. So, look for a travel mug that you can disassemble the lid and you can clean the inside thoroughly.
Perhaps, you have been overwhelmed with different product reviews available online.
Our Top Pick
While a travel mug needs to keep your coffee in the temperature that you like, there are still other considerations. When it comes to portability and insulation, nothing beats S’well Stainless Steel Travel Mug. Yet, for the best travel mug, you must also consider durability and performance, which the Thermos Travel Mug passed with flying colors.
It’s a well-made product crafted by the world’s well-known manufacturer when it comes to insulated vacuum flasks. Condensation-free, leakproof and keeps your hot beverages hot, while staying cool outside. It has a nice handle — sturdy enough, but comfortable to hold whenever you need a sip.
Whether you load it with hot or cold drinks, you’ll surely enjoy your favorite coffee after several hours. It’s not as dishwasher safe, though — not a big deal since you’ll use it on-the-go. It’s very easy to disassemble so you can easily clean it, especially if you consume different kinds of coffee and coffee specialties.
This post may contain links that we earn a small commission from, at no cost to you, read more.