Most coffee enthusiasts and baristas would agree that coffee’s brewing process is just as enjoyable as drinking a cup. There is just something about understanding how a drink is made that makes it more appealing.
One of the classic and oldest brewing methods is using a stovetop espresso maker. Also called moka pots, these coffee makers are usually confused with a percolator as they both use steam.
Compared to other coffee brewing methods, stovetop types are also easier and more comfortable to use. They are also more compact and lighter which makes them convenient for travelling.
To brew the best batch of coffee, one needs to have the best stovetop espresso maker in the market.
This article will lay down all the things you will need to know about moka pots. Aside from the basic information, it will also contain a review section and a buying guide to help you get started.
10 Best Stovetop Espresso Maker in 2021 (Reviews)
- ⭐ [Moka Espresso Coffee] Stovetop espresso maker, Moka pot, & manual coffee percolator machine. Available in 3 cups, 6 cups, 9 cup sizes. Stove top percolator coffee pot to make home espresso like a barista. Its easier to use than electric espresso coffee machines and makes a rich cup of espresso moka coffee. 3 cup expresso coffee maker stovetop size in Food grade anodized aluminium espresso Coffee maker.
- ⭐ [Easy to use Moka Espresso coffee Maker & Cuban Coffee maker] will work on all gas and electric stove top and propane camping stoves as well. It makes moka coffee on glass top induction stoves but will heat very slowly since its not magnetic. It is a type of easy to use stovetop espresso maker, coffee perculator, or expresso coffee maker stovetop. Its also called a Moka pot, Moka coffe maker, or Cafetera Cubana.
The GROSCHE Milano stovetop coffee maker is made of high-quality and food-grade aluminum which makes it durable and long-lasting.
Moreover, it’s completely safe to use as it comes with a rubber burn guard for its handle as well as safety valve. As such, you would not have to worry about burning yourself.
One thing I absolutely adore about this moka pot is that it comes in seven different colors that you can choose from. I like it since it gives options to express your style and make it blend into your kitchen’s aesthetic.
This product also comes in various cup sizes, ranging from three, six, nine, and ten. With these options, you can find one that can really suit your fancy.
GROSCHE’s espresso maker is also compatible in most stovetops which makes it more convenient. Not to mention, the product is also quite light, making it easier to bring along.
- Comes with different color options and sizes
- High-quality construction
- Safe and economical
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Makes 2 ounces of mocha Coffee – enough for an espresso cup
- Mocha Coffee is a strong, rich, and velvety brew
Bialetti is one of the most popular and trusted names in the industry. The 6857 moka pot is also impressive.
Made of aluminum silver, the 6857 coffee maker comes in different sizes, ranging from one, three, six, nine, and twelve. It even comes with pot and pot + coffee style options.
I really like the design of Bialetti’s 6857 as it serves a dual purpose. Aside from being beautiful, it’s made to enhance the flavors of your brew.
With its eight-sided base, this coffee maker spreads the heat to evenly brew your coffee. You can even get to save on gas as this means that you can use less heat while brewing.
This Bialetti moka pot also comes with safety features. Its rubber-handle ensures that you wouldn’t get any burns while making coffee. It is also a safety value just in case.
- Eight-sided base
- Comes in different sizes and styles
- Brews delicious coffee
- Handle deteriorates quickly
- CLASSIC ITALIAN COFFEE MAKER - Small espresso maker kit for coffee lovers on-the-go. Your Italian espresso will be ready in less than 5 minutes, fast enough to wake you up before you head out and do your daily grind
- MAKES 6 CUPS SMALL ESPRESSO SHOTS - Easy to use and delivers 6 demitasse cups (1.4 L) of rich espresso. No need to make a daily trip to your local coffee shop for a dose of freshly-brewed espresso when you can make it at home
The Vremi stovetop espresso maker comes in a sturdy aluminum construction. You can choose from two colors: black or silver.
Aside from the beautiful design, this espresso maker also comes with various safety features. It comes with a rubberized handle for easy grip and for safety purposes as well as a safety valve.
Out of all the products, the Vremi moka pot brews the fastest, only taking about five minutes to brew 6 cups of coffee.
Not to mention, Vremi’s coffee makers are versatile and are compatible with most stoves. Because of this, it is also quite easy to use which is great for beginners.
The product is also quite compact, measuring only 6 x 4 x 8 inches. This makes it ideal for those living alone or for those with limited space.
- Fast brewing time
- Sleek and compact design
- Easy and intuitive to use
- Spout is quite narrow
- Limited options for capacity
- Made with Durable Aluminum that Keeps Coffee Warm
- 1-Cup Capacity with Cool Touch Handle and Knob for Easy Handling
Made of high-quality aluminum, the Imusa espresso stovetop is durable and long-lasting. It comes in a simple silver coating and is small and portable. As such, it is perfect for those with limited spaces and for single servings.
Moreover, Imusa’s coffee maker also comes with safety features. It’s cool touch handle prevents you from burning yourself and makes it easier to grip. The product also comes with a knob for easier handling.
The Imusa moka top also comes in various cup sizes. You can choose from one, three, six, and nine servings. Regardless of the capacity, the coffee maker is still compact.
I also like how this coffee maker is easy and convenient to use. It has its flip-up top for easier brewing as well as a side pour spout for easier pouring. With these features, it’s quite easy to use for beginners.
- Small and portable
- Comes with a flip-up top and side pour spout
- Best budget stovetop
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Invented by Alfonso Bialetti in 1933, symbol of made in Italy all over the world
- Product with 8 faces, with the unmistakable little man with a mustache
The Bialetti Moka Express is the first moka pot designed way back in 1933. The fact that it is still widely used until now tells a lot about its quality and reliability.
Made of polished, high-quality aluminum, the Moka Express is one of the pretty moka pots you can find in the market.
Bialetti’s stovetop coffee makers are known for their octagonal shape. Not only does it make it alluring to look at, it also helps in evenly distributing the heat. As such, Bialetti’s Moka Express can brew coffee in just under 5 minutes.
This product comes in various capacities and colors. There are gold, silver, red, and black variants and for the cup sizes, you can choose from one, three, four, six, and twelve.
Moreover, the Moka Express is also easy to clean as you can disassemble the parts easily. All of its parts are dishwasher safe.
- Reliable and of high-quality
- Can brew in just under 5 minutes
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Not really recommended for electric stove use
- Makes Great Tasting Coffee: Classic Italian moka pot notorious for making the best traditional espresso quick & easy. Durable cast aluminum body with pressure valve for higher caffeine extraction and flavor. Depending on bean variety and grind selection, this espresso maker can create foam emulsion or crema. Heat resistant handle and lid knob for safe pouring.
- Easy and Dependable: Can be used on gas or ceramic stove tops, allows you to create and enjoy the best-tasting coffee with utmost ease. Classic Italian style design ensures even heat distribution for rich, velvety coffee flavor and aroma. Brew capacity is of 3 2oz European espresso cups.
The Zulay Kitchen stovetop maker is made of high-quality aluminum. It comes in seven different colors: polished silver, blue, black, pink, red, dark gray, silver moon, and sheen silver. You can also choose from three-, five- and 8-cup variants.
Not only that, its materials make the coffee maker quite light. As such, it’s also perfect when travelling.
This product comes with a pressure valve which enables higher caffeine extraction. Moreover, its design evenly distributes the heat in the device. As such, it brews rich and flavorful coffee.
Zulay Kitchen’s moka top is also reliable and dependable. You can use it in either gas or ceramic stovetops which makes it quite convenient. It also comes with a heat-resistant handle and a lid knob for easier handling and serving.
The Zulay Kitchen espresso maker is also easy to clean since you can disassemble its parts. You can safely clean it using soap and water.
- Evenly distributes the heat and pressure
- Can be used in ceramic or gas stovetops
- Comes in different colors and capacities
- Flimsy interior construction
- TOP QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: If you love and enjoy the happy life of coffee, the quality of espresso coffeepot is definitely a top priority. Godmorn's espresso maker is made of food-grade safe 430 stainless steel and has strong anti-corrosion and rust resistance. Because use high quality material to make the extraction pot hole, make the coffee that makes more mellow, bring high quality coffee to you to enjoy.
- APPLICABLE TO INDUCTION COOKER: Godmorn's espresso maker is made of 430 food grade safe stainless steel, applicable to a variety of stoves including induction cooker, electric furnace, ceramic furnace, alcohol furnace and gas stove. Because of its excellent corrosion and rust resistance, it can also be cleaned with a dishwasher.
Made of stainless steel, the Godmorn stovetop espresso maker is durable and long-lasting. Its materials both have anti-corrosion and rust-resistance properties. As such, it does not deteriorate quickly.
Aside from that, this coffee maker is also well-made. Sporting a silver, polished body, this elegant moka pot also has a three-ring precision thread and a safety valve. Not only does this make it safe to use, but it also quickens the heating and brewing time.
The device’s handle also has a comfortable grip which makes it easy to handle and pour.
Godmorn’s stovetop coffee maker comes in two sizes: 300 ml and 450 ml. You can make up to 6 cups of coffee in just 5 minutes. Regardless of the size, this product is compatible to use in gas, ceramic, electric, alcohol stovetops.
- Comes in a durable design and construction
- Can be used in different stovetops
- Easy to use and maintain
- Has product quality issues
- Limited capacity
- BELLEMAIN: THE ARTISANAL, MADE TOUGH: Gift yourself a richer, more intoxicatingly delicious mocha espresso every day, with Bellemain’s flagship espresso maker. Engineered to heat up quicker and more evenly, your delectable pick-me-up will be warming your hands faster than ever.
- BRINGS EVERYONE TO YOUR KITCHEN: Designed to heat quickly and evenly, this stovetop savior helps you create the most delectable hot beverages. Fill your home with the rich, smooth aromas of your favorite brew, in any style you like to drink it.
The Bellemain stovetop espresso maker is one of the prettiest moka pots you can purchase in the market. This beautiful machine comes in 4 different colors: black, pink, white, and silver.
Not to mention, the product is also durable being made of stainless steel. This octagonal-shaped coffee maker also comes with a pop-up knob and a heat-insulating handle for safety. This also shortens the brewing time as these materials help retain the heat.
The Bellemain coffee maker also comes with its own reusable coffee filters. Not only that, the device is easy to clean. The pot’s materials also prevent metal traces from forming and seeping into your coffee.
Bellemain’s coffee maker comes in 3-, 6-, and 9-cup variants. Regardless of the capacity, the product’s pressurizing system enables it to brew a rich and delicious batch of coffee.
- Beautiful and elegant design
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Has a short brewing time
- Limited capacity
- Not recommended for dishwashers
- MAKES 3 ESPRESSO SIZE CUPS - Total capacity per brew is 6oz which is 3 espresso-size cups (about 2oz each). Espresso is quite a bit stronger and is traditionally drank in smaller size cups. No need to make a daily trip to your local coffee shop for a dose of freshly-brewed espresso when you can make it at home. Save time and money and impress your friends with your barista skills.
- THE BEST TASTING ESPRESSO - Experience delightful flavor in your morning coffee. The LuxHaus stainless steel moka pot was made specifically for discerning coffee afficionados that appreciate a full bodied aromatic cup of espresso. We are excited to offer you our high-quality espresso pot. Life is too short to be drinking bitter coffeeso ditch the instant coffee or cheapo competitor and step up to LuxHaus quality.
The LuxHaus stovetop espresso maker is made of high-quality and food-safe stainless steel. It also has anti-rust and anti-corrosion properties, guaranteeing a long product life.
Moreover, it comes in the classic silver color which gives it an elegant look. You can choose from different capacities: 3-, 6-, and 9-cup variations.
One thing I like about LuxHaus’ moka pot is its user-friendliness. You can use it in different kinds of stovetops and it still heats up quite quickly due to its stainless-steel components. It is great for those who want their cup of coffee fast in the mornings.
LuxHaus’ coffee maker is also easy to use. You will just need to place the ground coffee into the funnel and the machine will brew the cup for you. As such, it’s ideal for beginners.
It is also easy to clean as you can just disassemble the parts. All of its parts are also dishwasher safe.
- High-quality stainless-steel body
- Heats up quickly
- Easy to use and clean
- Limited capacity
- Single serve coffee maker with a capacity for one demitasse-size cup of rich, authentic espresso
- Compact and easy to use espresso coffee maker, crafted of durable cast aluminum
The Primula espresso maker is made of high-quality aluminum which makes it durable. It comes in a classic design which evenly distributes heat in your coffee. Not only does this make for a quick brewing time, but it also enhances the coffee’s flavor.
This product comes in two colors: silver and red. You can even choose from different capacities: 1-, 3-, 6-, 9-, and 12-cup variations. Regardless of the capacity, this coffee maker is compact and doesn’t take a lot of space.
I also like how Primula’s moka pot comes with an array of safety features. Its heat-resistant handle and knob makes it easier and more convenient in handling and pouring.
The product’s safety valve also enables the user to control the water pressure to prevent it from over spilling as well as enhance the flavor. The durable flip-top lid further enhances the device’s protection.
- Comes in durable and compact design
- Has various safety features
- Can choose from different capacities and colors
- Handle can be quite flimsy
Purchasing a good moka pot is a must if your aim is to brew a delicious batch. However, it can be quite a challenge to find one.
For one, there are various types and designs that you can choose from. Aside from considering its features, you will also need to ensure that it falls within your budget.
However, you do not have to worry. This buying guide will enumerate all the factors you need to consider when shopping.
Moka pots are usually made of aluminum or stainless steel. Both types are suitable for making great-tasting coffee, however, they also have their own differences.
Aluminum Moka Pots
Early on, moka pots were usually made of aluminum since it’s an inexpensive and malleable material. If you’re keen on saving up, then aluminum variants are the way to go. However, it does have its downsides.
For one, aluminum is a porous metal which means that it allows a degree of coffee particles and oils to pass through. Overtime, these debris get stuck which can affect the coffee’s flavor.
However, you also do not want to clean it with soap or abrasive cloths or else, you’ll ruin the pot. Most users use hot water and wipe it with a rag and hope for the best.
Aluminum moka pots can also rust as it is constantly exposed to oxygen and coffee. This would lead to the dark spots in the machine. Moreover, there are some stovetops that are incompatible with this material.
Newer moka pots are made of stainless steel. Compared to aluminum types, these ones are more durable. For one, stainless steel pots are non-porous which means it will not have any adverse effects on the coffee’s flavor.
Stainless steel moka pots are also resistant to rusting and do not get scratched easily. This attribute makes cleaning and maintenance easier.
Moreover, many users tend to prefer these types since they are lighter. This makes it easy to carry them, especially when travelling. However, stainless steel types can be pricier.
Moka pots usually come in manual or electric variants.
Electric moka pots are easier to use. You will just need to plug it in, and the machine will start working. It also enables you to easily control the temperature and grind size as well as other settings.
On the other hand, manual moka pots lack these features. As such, you will have to estimate these factors and keep a close eye when brewing.
Manual types will take a lot of practice to perfect; however, many users prefer to use this to really know and understand the whole process.
If you want, you can start first by using an electric type to know the general dos and don’ts. Once you are comfortable, you can slowly ease into using a manual moka pot.
However, electric coffee makers are pricier especially when they come with a lot of extra features.
The size of cups a moka pot can brew is different from the size of your regular coffee cups. Instead, their measurements are based on espresso shots.
Because of the way moka pots work, you’ll want to correctly brew the exact amount of coffee every time. Otherwise, you will risk damaging your machine.
A cup from a moka pot is equivalent to about 2 fluid ounces of coffee. This table might prove to be useful to determining the amount to brew:
|Moka Pot Cup Size||Coffee Liquid in fluid ounces|
|3-cup||6.05 fl. oz|
|6-cup||10 fl. oz|
|9-cup||18.05 fl. oz|
|12-cup||25 fl. oz|
A good rule of thumb to remember is that the smaller the pot, the quicker it is to brew. Moreover, since they are exposed to heat for a shorter time, smaller pots tend to produce more aromatic and flavorful cups of coffee.
Flat based stovetop espresso makers are the most compatible for most induction stoves. On the other hand, most standard moka pots are suitable for a wide range of stovetops, including but not limited to gas, electric, ceramic, etc.
Aside from the material, you should also consider the size of the moka pot vis-à-vis the burner’s size. A too-small moka pot might burn or melt in a large burner while a too-big pot will result in lackluster coffee.
Easy to Clean
Regardless of its material, moka pots consist of 3 chambers that are responsible for brewing the coffee. The top chamber collects the brew while the bottom holds the water, and the middle chamber contains the coffee grounds.
To make things easier, it is best to get a pot that’s easy to clean. You would not want to waste a large amount of time just disassembling these parts.
Moreover, many users recommend getting a moka pot with dishwasher-safe parts. With this attribute, you will have an easier washing.
When brewing using a moka pot, it is important to remember that the handle gets hot after the process. Otherwise, you’ll risk burning or hurting yourself. Luckily, there are some models that come with a cool-touch feature or heat resistance.
There are even some models that have extra-wide handles for easier grip and reach. With this feature, you could easily hold the moka pot from a safe and comfortable distance.
Moka pots, regardless of the type and design, utilize pressure to extract and brew coffee. However, there are times when this pressure can leak.
As such, to ensure delicious and high-quality brews every time, many users recommend purchasing a model that comes with a safety valve.
With this feature, you are alerted when there are leaks. As such, you can quickly fix the problem as soon it arises.
How to brew your own cup of coffee
Of course, aside from the right tools and materials, brewing a delicious batch will also depend on your technique. While brewing using moka pots is easier compared to other methods, it does take some time to get used to.
Luckily, technique is something you can perfect with constant practice. This video can help you out in brewing as it doles out important tips and tricks.
Considering all the products listed, the GROSCHE Milano Stovetop Espresso Maker would have to be our favorite moka pot.
Being one of the leading brands in the industry, GROSCHE’s Milano espresso maker is made of high-quality aluminum. As such, the product is durable and long-lasting.
Another thing I also like about this device is its versatility. You can choose from different color options and sizes to ones that match your current kitchen set-up. In my opinion, this array of options also evidences the company’s desire to please their customers.
I really recommend this product. With its features, GROSCHE’s Milano espresso maker is easy to use as it is compatible with most stoves. As such, you wouldn’t have a hard time finding a heat source. This also makes it easier on the part of beginners as well.
Today’s deals on Our Top Pick