True coffee lovers know the importance of freshly grinding the coffee beans with the best manual coffee grinder. But, why go through the tedious process when you can just let your superautomatic coffee makers prepare all these in minutes, you may ask?
Apart from the hassle-free preparations with automatic coffee makers, bear in mind that the coffee machine is just one part of the whole formula. You must have consistent coffee grounds to be able to achieve a well-extracted coffee.
When it comes to consistency, burr coffee grinders are the best, yet they are very expensive. Thankfully, manual coffee grinders are the cheaper option, but still giving you stellar performance and results.
Here are the top 10 manual coffee grinders that’ll raise the bar of your standards for a delicious cup of refreshing coffee.
Top 10 Best Manual Coffee Grinders in 2021
- Built-in adjustable grind selector - with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your coffee beans making for the perfect grind to start your day.
- Convenient & Easy to Use: Our removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your portable compact manual grinder.
Whether you need coarse coffee grounds for your French press or fine coffee grounds for espresso, there’s a manual coffee grinder that’s best for the job. The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder offers more than just the best results, but portability and convenience, too.
This grinder has a built-in adjustable grind selector with over 18 clicks for more precision. You have full control over the coarseness of your favorite coffee beans to prepare a delicious cup of coffee for your busy day. It’s made of brushed stainless steel with durable ceramic burr grinder blades.
As with any JavaPresse products, this coffee grinder is crafted to give you the ultimate coffee experience. It only weighs 9.4 ounces with overall dimensions of 1.8 × 1.8 × 7.5 inches.
No need for any power or batteries to operate this machine. It’s easy to dismantle the grinder and the hand crank is removable, too. Portable and very convenient to use.
- Grinds quite well, especially for finer espresso coffee grounds
- Requires minimal effort if you’ll prepare for AeroPress coffee
- Easy to clean and the built-in window is a nice add-on
- Kind of slow if you’ll prepare coffee for two or more
- Adjusting the grind settings requires you to remember the clicks
- Hand crank design isn’t that great
- FINE OR COARSE GROUND COFFEE SETTING---With adjustable grind control, the manual coffee grinder can help you to get fine or coarse coffee powder, so that you can enjoy Espresso or French Press easily, convenient to control
- TWO 5.5 oz CLEAR GLASS JARS---The manual coffee grinder comes with two 5.5 oz clear glass jars, which can hold fresh ground coffee or beans during traveling or camping, convenient to carry, also act well as decorating containers
With ergonomic and portable design, our next choice of manual coffee grinder is perfect for home or camping use. The Triple Tree Manual Coffee Grinder helps you prepare fresh coffee grounds anytime, anywhere. It comes with two 5.5 oz clear glass jars that can hold ground coffee or whole coffee beans efficiently.
This hand coffee grinder mill utilizes durable ceramic burr which won’t add heat when grinding. Thus, preserving the natural flavor and aroma of your coffee beans. Likewise, you can use this grinder for a wide variety of beans. Since it has an adjustable grind selector, you can easily change the grind size depending on what kind of coffee drink you crave at the moment.
It may take time to grind with this machine compared to electric grinders. However, its long handle only allows less effort — for a more enjoyable grinding process. Along with the removable handle, all parts can easily be disassembled for thorough cleaning and easy transport.
- Grinds fairly consistent coffee grounds
- Very quiet and doesn’t need electricity to operate
- Well-made and useful, especially that it has two glass jars
- You are only allowed to turn the handle in a clockwise direction
- Grind setting will slip after some time, making inconsistent grinds
- Some coffee beans kept getting stuck
- Perfect Precision: This grinder comes with 15 precise settings so that you can set a specific grind for your favorite style of brew. Delivering grind levels comparable to expensive electric coffee grinder machines. See the chart in the photos for reference on time and setting for the following coffee preparation styles: AeroPress, Pour Over, Chemex, Cold Brew, and French Press.
- Easy Grinding: The gears grind smoothly making it easy to use for an extended period of time. The ergonomic design perfectly fits in the palm of your hand, alternatively place the base on the counter and the gripping pad will make the grinder effortlessly stay in place.
You don’t necessarily have to guesswork when using manual coffee grinders. The Eparé Manual Coffee Grinder comes with 15 grind settings, which you can set with precision since it has labels. It has eight (8) full settings and seven (7) half settings — you can precisely and consistently dial in the grind size that you need.
Aside from the precise grind settings, you don’t need to stress your wrist when grinding. Why? It has a counter-gripping base — sticks to any nonporous counter to prevent spillage. Even if you don’t want to use the base, unlike other grinders, it has an ergonomic design that fits perfectly even for smaller hands.
The wide-opening hopper can hold up to 60 oz coffee beans with no nuts and bolts to unscrew when loading. Simply remove the magnetic handle, pop off the lid, and load your beans. Its 40 mm ceramic burr grinder delivers not just perfect size coffee grounds but does it consistently.
- Magnetic handle and lid stay put during the grinding process
- High-quality materials; overall, it’s a durable product
- Gives you fairly consistent coffee grounds
- Sticky base doesn’t work all the time, you need to hold it
- Some users can’t get fine coffee grounds from this
- Not that easy to crank by hand
- Ceramic conical burrs with wide range can grind from powder to french press
- 20 gram capacity
Even if you’re on-the-go, there’s no reason that you can’t enjoy your favorite coffee with Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder. It’s an 8 oz hand coffee grinder that can easily be thrown into your camping bag. Since it’s made of solid stainless steel with only a little plastic, this machine seems indestructible.
Very handy, yet still offers 20-gram bean hopper capacity. With ceramic conical burrs, you’ll enjoy 13 different grind settings (from fine to coarse) — each defined by a ‘click.’ Although it could be challenging to determine the exact grind setting at first, you’ll learn it over time — like a pro.
Easy-to-grip with its 47 mm diameter and stands only 130 mm tall. As a product from Japan, you are assured that it has undergone different rigorous tests and survived. With this mini coffee grinder, you can prepare delicious coffee anywhere without the need for batteries or other power sources.
- Easy to use and easy to grip for convenient grinding
- Portable and durable, perfect for coffee enthusiast on-the-go
- Consistent coffee grounds — from fine to coarse
- Small capacity, not good for group use
- Kind of expensive without much bells and whistles
- Supposed to click per adjustment, but sometimes it doesn’t
- Conical Burr Grinder
- Hand-cranked, Non-electric
Since we are talking about manual coffee grinders, we shouldn’t forget one of the brands that have existed for more than 100 years. Zassenhaus, a German manufacturer, definitely stood the test of time and it’s Zassenhaus “Santiago” Manual Coffee Mill is a testament of excellence. It’s not just the best manual coffee grinder, but an icon when it comes to coffee mills.
Experience the finest German craftsmanship on this wooden coffee mill. It’s kind of bulky though with a total dimension of 5.5 × 3.5 × 7.8 inches and weighs 952 grams. However, it has a huge capacity to hold up to 40 grams per grinding cycle.
Yes, this doesn’t have a modern or classy design, but it does what a manual coffee grinder should. Consistent grind size retains the natural flavor and different grind settings for more options. It’s backed with 25 years of warranty — who wouldn’t want to have this world-class coffee grinder?
- Exceptional conical burrs to preserve the integrity of the beans
- World-class and outperforms most modern grinders
- Grinds coffee with less effort for Turkish and AeroPress
- Quite expensive, especially that it’s bulky for outdoors
- Grind settings don’t have numbers, so it’s hard to be consistent
- Takes more space than your regular handheld coffee grinder
- Switch between stepped or step less grinding with an easily removable set of washers
- Grind consistency and stability on par with electric grinders
You need to prepare a quick double shot espresso, yet you also want to grind your coffee beans? No problem. Here’s the ROK Coffee Grinder — a manual burr grinder made possible through the efforts and support of coffee lovers in Indiegogo.
From the design, materials used to its functionality, it sure is a coffee grinder by coffee enthusiasts for their fellow coffee addicts. It comes with 48 mm stainless steel conical burrs that can compete with more expensive electric grinders. With a durable die-cast aluminum body, you are assured of its longevity and durability.
And, for espresso, based on the product’s specifications, it only needs around 30 seconds of grinding time. And indeed, it’s one of the fastest on the list to produce fine coffee grounds. Lastly, to ensure consistency of your coffee grounds, this grinder comes with ground cups that you can use for measuring beans and catching coffee grounds.
- Very nice looking and has a stunning design
- Grinding speed is at par with some electric coffee grinders
- Has sticky bottom pad for one-hand operation
- Grinder adjustment isn’t reliable and turns in either direction
- Cleaning the burrs is kind of tricky
- Open bean hopper so the coffee beans do pop-out
- FRESH GROUND COFFEE TASTES THE BEST - Roasted coffee beans are little flavor vaults, protecting the tasty oils and solubles that provide all the great flavor and richness we coffee lovers crave. Our grinder lets you grind just the right amount, immediately before you brew, ensuring that you get the freshest, tastiest cup of coffee possible.
- DURABLE AND MADE TO LAST - Other manual coffee grinders use plastic or nylon parts. We use Stainless Steel and Ceramic instead so you'll enjoy your Khaw-Fee Grinder for years to come. We stand behind all of our products completely and we're here to help if you need us.
If you don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars for a coffee grinder, you don’t need to. Khaw-Fee HG1B Manual Coffee Grinder is one of the cheapest manual coffee grinders with the best features. It showcases conical ceramic burrs, made of stainless steel and requires only less effort to operate.
Grind the right amount of beans and achieve consistent grind size with this Khaw-Fee grinder. Forget about the guesswork because you can dial into the optimal grinder setting from ultra-fine to coarse. It’s perfect to prepare coffee grounds for your favorite French Press, pour-over, Turkish coffee, and anything in between.
The super reliable hand crank helps you enjoy the whole process. It takes less efforts to prepare coffee grounds for any coffee drink and it’s quieter than most coffee grinders. All parts can be disassembled, including the silicone base for easy and thorough cleaning.
- Well-made handheld coffee grinder with ceramic burrs
- Simple and elegant — all parts are reliable
- Glass jar has an airtight cover for easy storage
- Kind of slow to complete one grinding cycle
- Glass jar doesn’t have standard thread, hard to find a replacement
- The non-slip silicone base isn’t strong and steadfast enough
- New and improved with stronger grind shaft and burr stabilization plate, enabling more uniform grind.
- Ceramic conical burrs ensure a precise, uniform grind.
Let’s check out a manual coffee grinder from “The King of Glass,” the Hario Skerton Plus Coffee Mill. Hario is a Japanese company, which name translates to “The King of Glass.” This hand grinder is inexpensive, yet boasts premium build, especially the glass jar.
Although this isn’t the original Skerton grinder, it shares a lot of features with the time-tested grinder including the shape, ergonomics, and durability. To deliver precise coffee grounds without much effort, Hario equipped this grinder with 39 mm ceramic burrs. Unlike the Khaw-Fee HG1B Manual Coffee Grinder its catch jar has ball jar thread which can be replaced with any regular-mouth ball jar.
One noticeable change from the original design is the stabilizing template. This change offers a great advantage to keep the lower burr steady and secure while grinding.
Additional features include 100-gram bean hopper capacity and stepped grind adjustments. All parts can be easily taken apart without tools needed and are dishwasher safe.
- Stabilizing plate is a great add-on to achieve grind consistency
- Of high-quality, especially the standard glass jar
- Reasonably-priced given its huge capacity
- The handle won’t stay tight, gets loose when you grind
- Takes longer hours of cranking if you want perfect coffee grinds
- Grind setting is more like hit or miss – needs time to dial-in correctly
- ☕️HIGH QUALITY WOOD: pig iron top, solid wood body(carve from one piece of solid wood block, never going to crack), premium cast iron burr.
- ☕️DURABLE BURR: Cast iron conical burrs don't produce the heat that can adversely affect your coffee's essential oils, and have no metal odor and will never rust.
While the German-made wooden coffee mill is bulky for coffee travelers, there’s a cheaper and more portable alternative. The Akirakoki Manual Coffee Bean Grinder is a wooden mill with a sturdy cast-iron burr grinder. No heat produced; hence, you’ll enjoy the inviting aroma and preserve the natural taste of your favorite coffee beans.
We especially like the design of the adjustable grinding settings. Below the grinder base, you can see a screw for the grind size adjustments. Screw up to get coarse coffee grounds and screw down for finer coffee grounds.
Overall construction is simple. It has two chambers — the top has 35 g beans capacity, while the bottom has 55 g capacity. All parts can be removed and easily disassembled (but be careful of the tiny parts) for easy cleaning. Designed for compactness and performance, every on-the-go coffee lover will surely enjoy the efficiency of this wooden coffee grinder.
- Looks great and grinds well
- All parts are made with quality materials — very sturdy
- Extraordinary grinding mechanism that operates smoothly
- Takes a bit of effort to make changes with the adjustment screw
- It takes patience, time and effort to achieve perfect coffee grinds
- Not ideal to prepare espresso or Turkish coffee grounds
- 48mm Swiss Made Steel Conical Grinding Burr Set
- Diecast Folding Crank Handle with Integrated Funnel for easy bean loading
While most coffee grinders on this list have long hand crank, our last bet for this roundup has a foldable handle. Orphan Espresso Lido 3 Manual Coffee Grinder features a die-cast foldable crank with a built-in funnel for easy loading. Since the bean hopper is quite slim, which can hold only up to 70 grams, the funnel is very useful.
Sold with a neoprene carrying bag, this manual coffee grinder is a great travel partner for tons of reasons. First, it has 48 mm Swiss-made steel conical burrs for precise process and consistent grind size. Second, it has a large capacity BPA-free bean hopper with double-walled stainless-steel catch jar.
And, third, the foldable crank handle with soft grip knob helps you grind without much stress. Right above the catch jar, you can see some markings for stepless grind adjustment. It’s undoubtedly lightweight and portable so you can bring it when camping, hiking, and traveling.
- Steel burrs are powerful for smoother grinding process
- Has a wide range of grinding settings — cold brews to espresso
- Won’t produce any cranking noise, very efficient
- Takes time to accustom to this unique grind adjustment system
- Seems heavier and bulkier even with the foldable crank
- Getting finer grind size for espresso is labor-intensive
How to Choose the Best Manual Coffee Grinder
If you are expecting more bells and whistles in a coffee grinder, you won’t find it here. Likewise, if you don’t have time to grind your coffee beans, this article isn’t about automatic electric coffee grinders. However, if you are a passionate coffee drinker and you love the tedious process of making the best-tasting coffee, then, take home some goodness from this article.
You must have read through the article since you are almost towards our last words. As you can see, all coffee grinders on the list are exceptionally designed and professionally do their job. So, how to choose the ultimate best manual coffee grinder?
Stepped vs. Stepless Grinder Adjustment
If you have the grinder that has more grinding level settings, the more types of coffee you can make. This is because a certain type of coffee requires different coarseness or fineness.
So, if your coffee grinder has a fixed number of adjustments, you have a stepped grinder. Otherwise, the stepless grinder gives you an unlimited number of adjustment settings, as explained by Cowpresso Coffee Roasters.
Consistency is the Key
More than the type of coffee beans you’ll use and the grind size, you must achieve consistent coffee grounds. If you want finer grind size for your espresso, that’s what you should get, rather than seeing large boulders of coffee and powdery ones all in one grinding cycle.
Inconsistent coffee grounds give you an inconsistent coffee taste — flat and undesirable. You can’t get the same taste twice, said Perfect Daily Grind .
Ease of Use
Manual coffee grinders are also called handheld grinders. This means you need to operate them with your hands – manually cranking to grind the beans.
If the body of the grinder is too big or slippery to hold or if the crank handle won’t stay in place, it’ll be very challenging to complete one grinding cycle. Also, there are grinders that have non-slip and sticky bases to allow one-hand operation. Hence, you must try them and make sure they are easy to operate.
Manual coffee grinders don’t need to use power or batteries to operate — they are manually cranked. So, if you are an outdoorsy type of coffee lover, why not find something that you can just throw in your backpack to use anytime. At least, if you have a portable and lightweight grinder, you can still enjoy your favorite coffee — anytime and anywhere.
This YouTube video gives you a quick comparison of the efficiency and convenience of two manual coffee grinders with a different design. Although we have laid out some factors to consider when choosing your manual grinder, still, yours is the final say. The bottom line will always be your preferences.
Our Top Pick
In most cases, coffee lovers sought the best manual coffee grinders, especially if you are always on-the-go. However, there are just some coffee grinders that are also better for home use. The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder, for example, is a perfect company for coffee addicts who want to grind their coffee fresh any time of the day.
Whether you need coarser coffee grounds for French press or finer grind size for your espresso, the JavaPresse is ever ready to please you. It has ceramic burrs that give consistent coffee grounds for any coffee you crave at the moment. For the grinding settings, you’ll get over 18 different settings determined by clicks.
Although it’s a bit challenging to dial the right grind size for newbies, it’s learnable. With an affordable price tag, this durable, portable, and reliable coffee grinder is a must-check. If you want to get consistent, great-tasting coffee every time, this manual coffee grinder serves you anytime of the day.
Today’s Deals on our Top Pick