You can buy roasted coffee beans in the market or order online if you want to brew coffee at home. However, you are a true coffee lover if you have the best home coffee roaster along with your coffee grinder and coffee maker.
‘Why do you need to have a coffee roaster when roasted coffee beans are available in the market?’
Roasting coffee beans at home has a few advantages — freshly roasted beans on-demand and you can roast the coffee according to your preferences.
Our team finds it necessary to help our fellow coffee lovers by sharing our knowledge and expertise on home coffee roaster machines. We thoughtfully and carefully studied several products in the market to come up with this list. You are assured of reliable coffee roasters since we made thorough research about them.
Top 10 Best Home Coffee Roaster
The newest addition in the SR family of coffee roasters, the Fresh Roast SR540 gives you the reason to enjoy your favorite coffee every day. It’s capable of roasting 4 oz or 120 grams of coffee at once. As the latest member of the famous line of home coffee roaster from Fresh Roast, it comes with an improved control board.
Adjustments can be made with just a push of a knob. Turning it will help you adjust the heat, fan, and the time. You can see the real-time temperature display, so you can modify and experiment on what’s the best temperature for roasting your coffee beans.
This home coffee roaster is the best choice for many because there are nine (9) levels of heat adjustment. The fan has a wide range of adjustment, too. This machine has a larger roasting chamber with an overall body measurement of 14.72 × 8.35 × 8.35 inches.
- So easy to use and easy to clean
- Build quality is good and a good investment for its price
- Roasts the coffee beans evenly
- Nice to roast a few more coffee beans at once
- Some quality controls issues, but not detrimental to its roasting capability
- You can’t achieve dark roasted bean with this
- Roast up to 1 pound per batch, the largest capacity among home roasters available. Five customizable roast profile settings, and manual roasting override
- Thermostatically controlled quartz roasting elements and variable speed rotating roasting drum for an even performance
If you need more beans per roast that our first coffee roaster cannot give, have a look at the Behmor 1600 Plus Drum Roaster. It’s the world’s first and only coffee roaster that has 1-pound capacity. In addition, it has a patent-pending smoke suppression technology, so you won’t suffer the smoke when roasting coffee.
It comes with customizable roast profiles, which you can also manually override. Depending on your preference, you can roast from light to dark — from First Crack to Fill City. The interior of this 9 × 9 × 15.25 inches is well-lighted; hence, you can appreciate the roasting process.
You’ll get quality coffee bean roasting with its thermostatically controlled quartz roasting elements and variable speed rotating drum. It also has an efficient cooling system with a removable chaff collector and drum for easy cleaning. Intended to roast Vienna, French and dark beans, this coffee roaster accommodations coffee lovers of different needs.
- Programmable home coffee roaster that delivers repeatable results
- Indeed, capable of roasting 1-pound batches
- Easy to remove the chaff for easy cleaning
- Difficult to mount the drum insider the roaster — you might get burned
- Chaff collector is challenging to mount
- Light in the interior is still isn’t enough for some users
- Material: Body- Ceramic, Grip-Genuine cowhide
- Eco Ceramic Roaster: 100% ceramic
You don’t necessarily need to use electricity when you do the coffee bean roasting. You can do it more traditionally with a twist, using the Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster. It’s a product of Korea and made of all-ceramic, heat-resist glazed pottery.
The interior of this coffee roaster is waffle-shaped to achieve equal roasting. When roasting, you can do a number 8 or an elliptical orbit motion to achieve uniform roasting. It’s handy, weighing 12 oz and an overall body dimension of 9.9 × 6.4 × 3 inches.
It’s capable of roasting 30-70 g beans at one time. But, for best results, it’s recommended to only roast 30 g in a batch.
The process is quick and you can enjoy it. The popping sound, which can be heard from the rear hole, makes you excited. The hole also doubles as a spout to pour your roasted beans to another container once you are done.
- You can have a complete control on the process
- Great material, simple design makes it easy to clean
- You’ll get uniform roasting, batch after batch
- Can’t be used in your induction cooktop
- Need shaking and swirling during the process — not all like it
- You can only roast 30 grams at a time
- Advanced Patented Catalytic Technology Significantly Reduces Smoke and Odor
- Roasts a batch of beans in less than 20 minutes
If you don’t have the luxury of time to do manual roasting of your coffee beans, you need Nesco CR-1010-PR Coffee Bean Roaster. With unique technology and great design, you’ll achieve even roasts and uniform color every time. This 13 × 9 × 12 inches coffee roaster is made of plastic, weighing only 7.6 lbs.
It has an Advanced Patented Catalytic Technology which reduces the smoke and odor — the problem you’ll usually encounter when roasting at home. In just 20 minutes, you’ll be able to roast 1/3 lb of beans. With this, you can make up to 36 cups of coffee.
You can have full control over the color of your roasted coffee — light to dark. Likewise, you can also combine your favorite coffee beans to make a signature roasted coffee recipe. It has a transparent container with a fill line to let you know when you need to refill.
- Guaranteed evenly roasted coffee beans
- Straightforward controls, very simple interface
- Cleaning is easier after each cycle
- Kind of noisy during the operation
- The catalytic technology fails to keep up on a high rate of cooling cycle
- Timing isn’t really accurate; you can disregard and finish up early by hitting the ‘Cool’ button
- Roast up to 250g of green coffee beans in about 15 minutes with the easy-to-use Gene Cafe CBR-101.
- Fully viewable roast chamber and fully adjustable time and temperature allow for maximum control over your roasts.
When it comes to home coffee roasters, the best from Gene Cafe is indeed something to check out. With its Gene Cafe CBR-101 Home Coffee Roaster, not only will you get a wonderfully designed roaster, but you also have full control of how you brew your coffee. It has fully adjustable time and temperature, so you’ll get to translate your expectations into reality.
This 10 lbs machine with 12 × 16 × 14 inches body dimension is capable of roasting about a half-pound of uniformly roasted coffee beans at a time. It features a unique vortex twisting, off-axis rotation to ensure consistent and uniform distribution of your green coffee.
As a result, you’ll achieve the consistency and uniformity every other product just promises. Smoke during the process will easily vent out through the open window or the vent hood. It works with the standard 120V power and is known to be quiet when roasting.
- The off-axis drum rotation is an efficient design that delivers even roasts
- Quite unique design seems to be durable and compact
- Adjustable temperature and time, even on the fly
- Takes longer time to heat up, although it’s quick to cool down
- Requires high maintenance, the rubber bumper needs to be replaced quickly
- Very quiet, you can’t hear the crack of the coffee beans
- KALDI Motorize Coffee Roaster
- Gas Burner Required
KALDI Home Coffee Roaster is the choice for many coffee addicts because it is powerful without complicated controls. The core of this roaster, which is the drum, is made of 2 mm thick stainless steel. It’s capable of roasting 200 to 250 grams of coffee beans in one batch — up to 40 cups worth of coffee in each roast cycle.
As a product of Korea, you know it’s a quality coffee roaster with a few useful accessories. It has a wide hopper to easily pour in your green beans. This coffee roaster is designed to achieve the effective circulation of fresh and hot air.
It also has a reliable thermometer that will indicate the exact internal temperature of the drum. You can have full control of the drum temperature, roasting time, and the drum speed. The drum comes with a copper sleeve that is used to prevent the flame from damaging your favorite coffee beans.
- With innovative Air Roasting Technology for even heat distribution
- Roasting drum has removable copper sleeves
- Can roast small batches of coffee beans, or up to ½ lb
- No smoke suppression, you have to roast in a well-ventilated area
- Operates with a gas burner, so the housing could be hot
- There’s some drum rotation noise during the operation
- EASY TO USE: Quick-release Stir Handle with a sturdy wood Main Handle
- BUILT TO LAST: Durable anodized Aluminum Pan
Slightly cheaper than the Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster, the Time for Treats Nut Roaster Glazing Pan is another coffee roaster for core coffee aficionados. This roaster requires your diligence to do the manual stirring on the process.
It has a sturdy construction, which is made of durable anodized aluminum. The stir handle with wood is easy to assemble and clean. It’s small with only 15.50 × 10 × 8 inches overall measurements — 8-inch bottom and 10-inch top.
The process is simple without any button to press or knobs to rotate. Simply place the roaster on the stove and add two cups of coffee or nuts.
When the heat is on, gently turn the manual stirrer and constantly turn it to achieve even roasting. Unfortunately, this pan is not non-stick — you need to do heavy cleaning after roasting or glazing nuts.
- Handle is quite high so you can still hold it without getting yourself burn
- Metal is thin for good heat control, yet sturdy
- Easy to assemble and disassemble — very easy to clean
- Needs gas range to use this roaster
- This pan seems cheap and lightweight
- With frequent use, the handle will not be screwed securely
- 1. Application: You can use it not only to bake coffee beans, but also to bake popcorn, peanuts and nuts.
- 2. Capacity: can bake 300-500g at a time.
You’ve learned that the above-mentioned products and some coffee bean roaster can also be used for other purposes. JIAWANSHUN Electric Coffee Roaster Machine, for example, can bake popcorn, nuts, and other snacks. You can see that it is capable of roasting 300 to 500 grams at a time.
Aside from the good roasting capacity, its temperature is adjustable — from 0 to 250 degrees. This means, you can experiment on the right temperature this roaster should have to achieve high-quality roasted coffee beans. It has thick handrails to prevent burns when this is in operation.
Unlike other home coffee roasters in this list, it has simple and beautiful design — perfect gift for a coffee lover friend or family. It has a transparent glass cover that serves as a brewing window so you can see the entire process. Once done, you can shake the pan in a circular motion to have the chaff separated — then, simply blow them off.
- Great alternative if you need an inexpensive and compact coffee roaster
- Has integrated temperature dial
- Super easy to use and easy to clean
- Only good for small batches of roasts, no more than 1 cup at a time
- No automatic shut off, you need to monitor all the time
- Overall, it doesn’t feel to be of quality
If you like the design and compactness of JIAWANSHUN Electric Coffee Roaster Machine, but still want more, check out VEVOR 1200W Coffee Bean Roasting Machine. This machine is very easy to use but requires more effort and participation throughout the roasting process. It has a capacity of 1,500 grams — that you can bake at one time — very convenient.
It has a non-stick chassis and heat-resistant cover. The former makes the machine easy to clean, safe, and healthy. The latter, on the other hand, is a transparent cover with a four-hole ventilation system that doubles as a viewing window so you can see the whole process.
With the lid, the coffee roaster measures 4.7-inch height and 12.6-inch length. To roast your coffee using this coffee roasting, just spread the bean over the roasting surface, cover the lid and switch it on. It’s important to note that some parts may become hot during the process, you should keep away.
- Very easy to use and clean, especially with its non stick base
- Can be used not just to roast coffee beans, but bake nuts, popcorn and more
- Has the largest capacity on the list in terms of roasting capacity
- May not roast the coffee beans evenly, especially for large quantity
- Sometimes the agitator won’t rotate unless you push
- Way better when used as popcorn popper, rather than a coffee roaster
- KALDI Mini Size (200~250g) Home Coffee Roaster
- Including Thermometer
Don’t stick to entry-level or cheaper coffee roasters if you have the budget to get a more sophisticated home coffee roaster. The best when it comes to craftsmanship and reliability, KALDI Mini Size Home Coffee Roaster is more than just a home coffee roaster. With this coffee bean roaster, you can develop skills to become a real barista.
It’s made of a stainless steel body, with a capacity to roast 200 to 250 grams (or up to 8 oz of green coffee beans). Its overall size is 10.2 × 7.9 × 9.4 inches and it weighs 5.51 lbs. The drum measures 120 mm x 115 mm with 2 mm thickness.
Remember, it utilizes the heat from the external gas burner to roast your coffee. You don’t find any bells and whistles in this machine except with a thermometer. While you have the option to get this unit with a sampler and hopper, it costs you more.
- Includes a thermometer and direct heat roasting
- Portable and you can produce up to 8 oz coffee at once
- Well-made and durable
- External gas burner is required
- Thermometer isn’t that accurate, only gives an estimated heat level
- Needs careful monitoring from start to end — a steep learning curve
How to Choose the Best Home Coffee Roaster
Our list consists of varied coffee roasters because we know that individuals have different preferences. Yet, if you are still confused about which coffee roaster you want to have, here’s a quick buying guide to enlighten you.
Types of Coffee Roasts
Depending on your palate, you might need to have a light roast, medium roast, or dark roast.
- Light Roast (First crack roasts). The beans have tan or light brown color, and they have the highest level of acidity. They have a bright taste like the original coffee bean.
- Medium Roast. Require higher heat which splits open and breaks the outer shell of the coffee. This usually has a darker-colored bean, which gives you deeper and sweeter taste – some coffee oils come out.
- Dark Roast. Roasted at an even higher temperature, which causes the oil packets to burst through. The acidity is almost gone, and they have a bold and robust taste.
These and more are tabulated by Webstaurant Store.
Types of Coffee Roasters
You might have observed that there are two types of roasters we mentioned — air and drum roaster. Air roasters provide even roasts on all sides, while drum roasters give you a more consistent roast. Drum roasters are economical, they leave that bright acidic flavor in your coffee.
While you can just let your roasted coffee bean cool down in the open air, it’s not as efficient as your home coffee roasters that have cooling features. If the beans won’t cool fast, they continue to roast. The sooner the beans cool, the better is the result, explained Perfect Daily Grind.
How often do you want to roast coffee beans? If you want to do it daily, then, you can settle for those with small roasting capacity. However, if you need to do the process only once in a while, you need to have a machine that’ll give more in one roasting cycle.
Since we have included the roasting capacity for most products mentioned here, you now have an idea of the bean capacity of the roaster.
You now have all the information you need to pick the best home coffee roaster for your needs. But, this YouTube video can also give you more points, especially on the price range, alternative tools, and more. If you are serious about roasting your beans, this video will surely give you tons of helpful information.
Our Top Pick
We want to roast our coffee for fun. But, it’s not as simple as turning the green coffee beans into brown ones. It’s a process with a steep learning curve, but with the Fresh Roast SR540, you can learn the craft fast.
Unlike other sophisticated coffee roasters, you only need to rotate and push a knob. With this simple control, you’ll be able to adjust the temperature, the fan, and the time. It also has a temperature display so you won’t have your beans over roasted.
The nine (9) heat level adjustment and the fan adjustment give you more control over how you’re going to roast your coffee beans. With a roasting capacity of 120 grams per batch, it’s not bad for a home coffee roaster, after all. It serves you well and it’s the best for the price you can’t beat.
Today’s Deal on Our Top Pick