You might be looking for a reliable espresso machine that doesn’t break the bank. Well, you’ve come to the right place.
We have just completed our intensive research on the best espresso machines under $1000.
So, you’ll be among the few to know the leading and most trusted espresso makers in the market today.
An espresso machine doesn’t necessarily have all the bells and whistles for it to be called the best. It should be primarily on the quality of the coffee it produces. However, for family use with varied coffee needs, it’s also important to consider more functionalities.
Our list comprises a variety of espresso machines, including semi automatic and super automatic options.
Regardless of the rank, we present our top ten picks to you, and at the end of this review, we give our recommendations.
The Best Espresso Machines Under $1000
- Breville BES870XL Barista Express
- De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica
- Breville Barista Touch
- Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige
- De’Longhi ECAM22110SB
- Breville Barista Pro Espresso Machine
- Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
- Breville Infuser Espresso Machine
- La Pavoni EPC-8 Europiccola Espresso Machine
- Breville Bambino Plus Espresso Machine
1. Breville BES870XL Barista Express – Our Top Pick
If you want to create a high-quality espresso in less than a minute, consider the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine. It is among the most versatile espresso machines, with a few controls and buttons for easy operation. You have the freedom to select the settings that suit your preferences.
It has dose-control grinding, a conical burr grinder and digital temperature control (PID) to ensure optimum coffee extraction. With the grinder, you have the convenience of hands-free operation and can grind it straight to the portafilter. With the right amount of coffee grounds and your settings, you’ll be able to have your perfect coffee or espresso drink.
You can select from single and double shot espresso drinks and adjust the grinding setting. The steam wand allows you to achieve extra micro-foam for all your drinks without taking a trip to the local cafe shop.
- User-friendly and easy to operate, though it has a lot of controls
- Pressure gauge is very reliable
- It’s not that durable and needs high maintenance
- Some users claim it’s quite messy during operation
2. De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica – Feature Rich Option
For an affordable super automatic coffee maker, the De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine is a good choice. At its price, it has great features not present in some models, even at a much higher price.
You can customize your espresso according to your mood and preferences. This can be done with the push of a button. The control panel comes with a rotary knob and a push button. It has a manual cappuccino system that makes your coffee more interesting.
You can pull single or double shot espresso in a few seconds because of its “Instant Reheat,” which keeps the water at its ideal temperature. Aside from that, it has a cup warmer, integrated burr grinder and adjustable brew sizes. It has an 80 oz water capacity, making this machine suitable for family and friends.
- Build quality and the construction is great
- Can make a double cup in just a single touch of a button
- Fairly easy to clean and descale
- On/Off button is difficult to press after some time
- Taste of the espresso might not satisfy some coffee lovers
3. Breville Barista Touch – Best Espresso Machine With Built-In Grinder
Maybe what you are looking for in a coffee maker is the one that gives you the shortest coffee preparation. Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch Espresso Maker makes your coffee in three easy steps. In addition, it has an innovative ThermoJet heating system that heats in three seconds, so you can make coffee in no time.
With the touchscreen display, the three simple steps can be summed to grind, brew and milk, and the machine has all these functionalities. Automatic milk foaming and texturing can be done with the auto steam wand for latte art.
You can play around with your coffee drinks by changing the coffee strength, temperature, and milk texture. You can save up to eight personalized profiles and brew the coffee you want with a single touch. This is good if your family members have different coffee preferences.
- Color touchscreen display is great for brewing your coffee drinks
- Can customize the temperature and texture of your coffee
- Automatic steam wand gives you the freedom to be creative with your lattes
- Brewing temperature never reaches the ideal temperature
- Milk frother delivers inconsistent results
4. Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige – Best for One Touch Brewing
A beautifully designed and powerful semi-automatic espresso machine like Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige Espresso Machine can be a good kitchen company. It makes not only espresso but specialty drinks as well. It has one-touch brewing and frothing to make cappuccinos or milk froth more conveniently.
This compact machine has various programmability options with three temperature settings, 5 strength settings and 10 fineness settings for the burr grinder. It has a 10.5oz bean hopper with a 54 oz water capacity. There’s an LCD screen where you can make your list and create changes in your settings for your ideal espresso drink.
This compact design allows you to slip this coffee maker under kitchen cabinets or in the corners. The front-loading feature makes it easy to access the water reservoir and the dreg box without pulling out the entire machine.
If you prefer a semi automatic espresso machine over a super automatic espresso machine, you can also consider the Gaggia Classic Pro espresso machine. It has a 21-liter capacity, rugged brushed stainless steel housing, steam wand, and easy-to-use rocker switch controls. You get the quality of the Gaggia brand with the Gaggia Classic Pro but at a lower price tag.
- Makes an excellent espresso drink
- Perfect size, making it easier to clean and maintain
- Easy access to the water tank, coffee bean hopper, and grinder
- Steam wand isn’t flexible
- Bean hopper isn’t completely sealed to retain the freshness of pre ground coffee
5. De’Longhi ECAM22110SB – Most Versatile
This De’Longhi Espresso Machine has six dedicated buttons with an auto-frothing carafe if you like foamy lattes and cappuccinos. You can choose from three different temperature settings for your coffee—Min/177.5 degrees, Med/182.9 degrees, and Max/184.5 degrees.
It has a 60 oz removable water tank and an 8.8 oz bean hopper (pre ground coffee). Both can be accessed conveniently in the front of the machine. It has an LCD screen that displays your settings for easier modification of your coffee preferences.
- Temperature setting from 177 to 184 degrees
- Easy to use. Just fill the water tank and coffee bean hopper, then program the machine
- Automatic milk frother with self-cleaning functionality
- Water tank is not sufficient, especially for volume servings
- Has only one boiler
- It’s expensive
6. Breville Barista Pro Espresso Machine – Best Semi Automatic Machine
This machine also allows for a much faster heating time compared to other models. This is due to the innovative ThermoJet heating system that allows you to achieve optimum extraction temperature in just three seconds. It is an instantaneous transition between espresso to steam.
Microform milk texturing is another great feature of this espresso machine. The steam wand is powerful and performs at a high level, so you can achieve hand-textured micro-foam milk to enhance the flavor of your espresso drink. It also aids in the creation of latte art.
The Breville Barista Pro can achieve a consistent and balanced espresso with 19 to 22 grams for full and robust flavor and café quality coffee.
The LCD with grinding and extracting provides you with precise information you need to make the coffee exactly how you want it each time.
- Allows for rich and full flavor with a perfectly balanced taste
- Espresso machine provides an irresistible body and a velvety mouth feel
- The intuitive interface gives you all the info you need for the best espresso
- The integrated conical burr grinder allows you to adjust the grind size and dose
- Some found the operation of this espresso machine more complicated than expected
- Some users were frustrated when adjusting the grinding size
7. Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine – Best Automatic Espresso Machine Under 1000
You can also enjoy delicious, freshly ground coffee at any time. It allows you to make five aromatic coffees, so you have the perfect results with no hassle. The LatteGo Milk System mixes milk and air at high speed, allowing you to achieve a creamy layer of milk foam on the top of your espresso.
The parts of this best automatic espresso machine under 1000 are also removable, making it easy to clean. Furthermore, many of the parts are dishwasher safe.
You can also make so much more than just espresso with this machine. You can also make hot water, cappuccinos, coffees, latte macchiatos, and americanos. The espresso machine has everything you need to start, including a measuring scoop, water hardness test strip, AquaClean filter, LatteGo storage lid, and a grease tube.
- Easy to clean and includes removable and dishwasher-safe parts
- Intuitive touch display makes it easy to use
- Its 12-step grinder adjustment allows you to achieve your perfect cup every time
- You can make up to 5,000 cups without having to descale thanks to the AquaClean technology
- The aroma seal keeps your coffee beans fresh for longer
- Some users reported that the hopper is shallow and hard to fill
- Does not come with a filter, as it is optional but can be purchased separately
8. Breville Infuser Espresso Machine – Best Value
- The Breville Infuser delivers optimal flavor in every cup creating third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula, ensuring the right dose of beans, optimal water pressure, precise...
- VOLUMETRIC AND SHOT CONTROL: Control the volume of each pour at the touch of a button and choose 1 shot, 2 shot or manually control over how much espresso ends up in your cup for the perfect dose...
This espresso machine allows users to control the volume of each pour with a simple touch of a button. You can choose between one and two shots or manually control how much espresso ends up in your cup each time.
The Breville Infuser espresso machine’s low-pressure infusion allows it to gradually increase pressure at the start and ensures flavors are drawn out evenly during extraction, making for a more balanced cup.
This espresso machine features a high-power 1650W element for the high-pressure steam wand. This allows faster heating to create microfoam for a third wave specialty taste. The espresso machine also automatically purges its heat system once it is done steaming. This ensures that each espresso is extracted at the right temperature every time.
With your purchase of the Breville Infuser espresso machine, you will receive single and dual wall filter baskets, a coffee scoop, stainless steel jug, a cleaning disc and tablets, a cleaning tool, and a water filter with holder.
Overall, this espresso machine is great due to its single or double shot settings, volumetric control, and manual override settings, so you get the most delicious espresso every time.
- Provides users with a rich and full flavor and perfectly balanced taste
- The precise espresso extraction maximizes flavor potential
- Temperature can be controlled in 4-degree increments for the right extraction
- You can control the volume of each pour with just a single touch of a button
- The reservoir only holds eight cups of water. Many users feel this is not enough due to the amount of water that is used for two double shots
- Steam function may make a knocking noise during operation; this is normal, but some might find it unsettling
9. La Pavoni EPC-8 Europiccola 9-Cup Lever Style Espresso Machine – Best Manual Espresso Machine Option
This home espresso machine boasts durable, sturdy, all-steel construction with heavy chrome plating. It comes equipped with a tamper, screen, screen holder, measuring ladle, and cappuccino attachment. New to the espresso game? It also has an instructional video showing you how to start at home.
It is a professional and stylish machine built to last and provides users with the perfect espresso each time the lever is pulled. You can make eight cups of espresso with the La Pavoni espresso machine—two-ounce servings.
The La Pavoni espresso machine is steam pressure and piston-operated. The internal thermostats of this machine monitor the pressure continuously and also have reset fuses. The water tank capacity is 20 ounces, and the steam wand allows users to create thick and rich foam along with perfectly heated milk for lattes and cappuccinos.
- Heavy-duty construction for durability
- Comes with everything you need to start making delicious espresso right at home
- Attractive enough to leave out on the counter and doesn’t take up a lot of space
- The water tank is on the smaller side, and the machine takes a bit longer to heat compared to other models
- No automatic features, so the learning curve may be steep for some users
10. Breville Bambino Plus Espresso Machine – Best Compact Option
The ThermoJet heating system offers a much faster heat time than other models, so you can achieve optimal extraction temperatures in just three seconds. The digital temperature control also ensures that the water heats at the right temperature.
The low-pressure pre-infusion with this Breville Bambino Plus espresso machine gradually increases the pressure at the start of the brewing process. This helps ensure that all the flavors are drawn out evenly for a balanced cup of delicious espresso.
When the machine is done brewing, it automatically purges the heating system following the steaming process.
The espresso machine is also compact at just 7.7 inches and fits neatly on the countertop without taking up too much space.
- This machine ensures a full-bodied coffee with both rich and complex flavors each time
- Three-second heat time lets users get coffee in less time without a long wait
- Automatic steam wand lets users adjust the temperature and texture to suit individual tastes
- Fast start-up time for espresso and steamed milk
- Since the home espresso machine is so lightweight, some users reported that it slides on the counter when in use
- The drip tray fills quickly and needs to be cleaned out regularly to avoid messes
How to Choose the Best Espresso Machines Under $1000
We have our own barometers in choosing these ten espresso machines that exceed our expectations at an under $1000 price point. Given that we’ve already handpicked the products, your job is to select the best. So now, we’ll give you tips on how to single out your choice based on your need.
Manual or Automatic
Depending on your needs and availability in preparing your coffee, you can choose between automatic (super and semi automatic machine) and manual espresso machines.
An automatic machine makes espresso extraction an easy and straightforward process. Usually, it just takes the push of a button to grind your coffee beans. A semi automatic machine is a more convenient option that lets users maintain control over the grind size.
A manual espresso machine is the right choice for someone interested in more traditional espresso making. Pressure needs to be manually created to pull the shot, and you will probably have to invest a bit more money into accessories for the best espresso making experience.
At this price point, these machines give you the freedom to automate the brewing process. If you need this feature in your next espresso machine, check out the product that gives you great comfort and convenience.
The boiler system of your home espresso machine powers it to heat water and operate the steam wand. Most models are either single or dual boiler models. A single boiler system tends to be the more inexpensive option and is ideal for a more casual coffee drinker. It has just one heat source and needs time to change the temperature when steaming milk or brewing espresso.
On the other hand, a double or dual boiler system is the more expensive option, and these models tend to be a bit bigger. You can transition more easily between steaming and brewing, and each function has its own heat source.
Maybe it’s also good to make the most out of their extra bells and whistles. If the self-priming function works well for you, go ahead. Make sure to know the boiler setup and if it has a thermostat. You should also check the water tank size, the coffee bean hopper, and its space-saving design.
- How To Use An Espresso Machine
- Best Coffee Machines Under $2000
- 10 Best Espresso Machines Under $500
What is the best espresso machine under 1000?
Breville Barista Express is the best espresso machine if you’re budget is under $1000. At this price point, it’s amazingly packed with great features, and to top it all, it’s durable.
Is an expensive espresso machine worth it?
Yes, an expensive espresso machine is definitely worth it. What you’re really paying for is the convenience of not having a cheap espresso machine that doesn’t last that long.
How much should you spend on a new espresso machine?
If you have a budget, you can find a high-quality espresso machine for under 1000, and you can still have a few of the special features and functionalities you want, like a built-in steam wand.
Is Breville a good brand?
Yes, Breville is a good brand when it comes to coffee machines and coffee makers. In fact, they have won awards from the Specialty Coffee Association as “Best New Product” for three consecutive years.
What else should I know before purchasing a new home espresso machine?
Before making a purchase, always do your research. Are there replacement parts readily available? You should also always read the instruction manual and follow all required preventative maintenance tasks, including cleaning procedures. If you follow these steps, you will find a home espresso machine that will provide quality while being built to last.
Best Espresso Machine Under $1000 – Editor’s Choice
Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine is probably the worthiest investment on the best espresso machine under $1000 list. This compact coffee machine has an integrated burr grinder with 13 fineness settings. You can also use pre-ground coffee in a dedicated chamber if you want decaf or specialty drinks.
It features an adjustable manual Cappuccino System that optimizes the foaming process. This means you can create thick and long-lasting foams for a latte, flat white, or cappuccino. In addition, you can make adjustments to the coffee strength, temperature, and cup size. So, what more can you look for in an espresso machine?
This post may contain links that we earn a small commission from, at no cost to you, read more.