You are deciding between commercial and simpler espresso machines because you need an espresso machine. This means you’ve already had the budget and the purpose of buying one. Just to be honest with you, commercial coffee makers are way more expensive than the coffee makers at home. Why?
First, commercial espresso machines are mostly used in restaurants and coffee shops. Hence, the equipment needs to be heavy-duty and versatile to accommodate customers’ needs.
Second, it comes with a lot of buttons and controls for a lot of settings. It may take time to practice, but baristas and those who have been using this kind of espresso machine will soon find it rather easy.
So, if you are in the quest of a new espresso machine, check out our review of the best commercial espresso machines. After this article, you’ll also see our top choice. However, since there are so many things to consider, it’s still important to know each of the product below.
Here are the best commercial espresso machines for your coffee shop in 2019
- Rugged brushed stainless steel housing
- Commercial three-way solenoid valve
If you are a looking for a semi automatic entry-level commercial espresso machine, you come to the right place. The Gaggia 14101 Classic Semi-Automatic Espresso Maker gives you more options to make great espresso. It has a three-way solenoid valve that quickly dries off the coffee puck.
The 58 mm portafilter has a commercial basket that allows you to get thicker and more crema espresso shot. You don’t need to be a skilled barista to pull out a good shot of espresso, you just need Gaggia 14101. It has a dual heating system that becomes steam ready in 20 seconds and brew ready in five minutes.
Its heavy-duty design makes it a good espresso machine for your startup café. It has reliable buttons for brewing, steaming and for hot water. Lastly, the very useful Pannarello wand allows you to dispense water, steam and milk froth for your latte or cappuccino.
- Great espresso machine and reliable for steaming milk
- Comes with a bigger water reservoir, around 72 ounces
- Sturdy and very durable design should last for years
- Learning and becoming familiar with this device may take time
- Hard to remove the water tank, requires removal of other parts
- Easily select one of 15 delicious drinks, or customize it to your taste with Coffee equalizer and save it to one of 6 user profile
- Our Patented a Qu a clean water filter eliminates the need to descale for up to 5, 000 cups
When you are buying an espresso machine for your business or for a big family, ensure that you get variety. Not all, even you may not like espresso all the time, sometimes you want variety. And, Saeco HD8927/47 PicoBaristo Super Automatic Espresso Machine is superior since it has 11 coffee varieties to choose from.
Design-wise, it’s compact and made of stainless steel. It has a super fast heating boiler that allows you to immediately brew after you turn the machine on. More to that, it has AquaClean filter that lets you make around 5,000 cups before descaling the machine.
With its simple controls, you can customize your drink by changing the strength, temperature, and length of brewing. It has 10-settings for the ceramic burr grinder that lets you chose from the finest to the coarsest. Lastly, it has a removable brewing group for regular cleaning.
- AquaClean filter gives consistency to the coffee regardless of the water being used
- Easy to clean and has an auto-descaling feature
- Has ceramic burr grinder with 10 grind settings
- Loud rattling of the water pump
- Shinny casing makes dust and dirt visible
- Dual stainless steel boilers and dual Italian pumps for simultaneous espresso extraction and steaming
- Over-Pressure Valve (OPV) limits extraction pressure;Flexible Shot Control
Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine is a good tool for your café. It features dual stainless steel boilers and dual Italian pumps for simultaneous extraction of espresso. It’s a semi automatic type of machine with 2.5L of boiler capacity.
It has a built-in PID that lets you control the temperature. So, you make it stay right there or adjust within 190 to 205 degrees range. This is the ideal brewing temperature of your coffee. So, you’ll definitely pull a great espresso shots every time.
It has a timer, displayed in a back-lit LCD display that allows you to preset your operation for single or double espresso shots. It’s important to use cold filtered water for the coffee preparation to get the best results.
- Lightweight and has durable built
- Comes with a user-friendly display with accurate temperature control
- Comes with a steam wand for specialty drinks
- Might be a little expensive for what it offers
- Need to use cold filtered water
- Bakelite handle on portafilter wooden handle, as shown, is no longer on this model.
- Three red switches power, coffee brew, & boiler refill.
Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica Commercial Espresso Machine speaks of both quality construction and beautiful design. This model has a chrome finish, making it look elegant in any kitchen café interior. It comes with a pressure gauge to tell you when to brew your espresso for optimal extraction.
It has 2L boiler capacity and has a large 10” base for stability when brewing. It has three red switches for power, brew and boiler refill. For easier use of the steam, there’s a dedicated twist-knob control of it.
- Machine controls are simple and easy
- Good temperature stability
- Has a water level sight to check the water level in the reservoir
- Not insulated, so it’s hot when used
- Never use hard water refill, it makes discoloration of the reservoir
- Warranty note: In-line water filter must be installed for warranty to be in effect
- Warranty: 2 years parts & labor warranty, standard
Grindmaster-Cecilware ESP1-110V Venezia II, is an easy-to-operate commercial espresso machine. Like other straightforward espresso machines, you can pull either a single or double espresso shot. But the good news is, you can fill at a maximum of two cups at a time. Not bad.
It has a touchpad control panel and LED display. It’s heavy-duty and capable of making espresso up to 240 cups an hour. It’s perfect for busy operations in your restaurant or café.
This machine is fully automatic with auto-cleaning function. The dual pressure gauge is very useful for the pressure of the dispensing water. It has a boiler with a capacity of up to 5.67L, which take time to refill.
- Machine has auto-cleaning functionality
- Can brew up to 240 espresso shots in an hour
- Can brew two cups (of either single or double shot) at a time
- Don’t have milk froth attached
- Only capable of brewing espresso shots, limited
- Nuova Simonelli Appia II Volumetric 2 Group Espresso Machine MAPPIA5VOL02ND001 with Free Espresso Starter Kit and 3M
With two group heads for more espresso production, the Nuova Simonelli Appia II Volumetric 2 Group Espresso Machine is a sturdy machine packed with different features. It has 11L boiler with stainless steel construction.
With its soft infusion system, you can achieve thicker crema of your espresso without harshness. You have the freedom to program each group head into four ways – single/double short or single/double long.
- Achieves espresso with more crema with its built-in SIS
- Can raise group heads to allow more cups to fill
- Has fresh water in reserve for fresher espresso every time.
- Also a bit expensive, although lesser than Aurelia II
- Can’t pull out other coffee drinks
- NSF/CSA-certified 2-group commercial espresso machine with digital control pad
- Microprocessor controls; electronic programmable dosing; energy-saving power switch
Italians are very conscious when it comes to the visual of their espresso machines. Speaking about nice looking commercial espresso machine, La Pavoni BAR-STAR 2V-R – 2-Group tops the list. With red as the dominating color of this machine, it’s attractive, looks clean and elegant.
The simple black and silver controls are not perfectly decorated in front of the machine. It’s equipped with a 14L copper boiler, which is quite big to cater to the high demands for coffee every day. As mentioned, it has only a few controls and a digital pad which make it very easy to operate.
It has a built-in water softener that eliminates minerals from your water. With programmable dose and smart engineering, you’ll minimize human intervention. Thus, you can achieve a more consistent espresso serving.
- Quality material, the waterline is made of stainless steel
- Got option for continuous brewing with stop button
- Multiple users can use the machine at the same time
- Requires a real barista to operate
- Takes some time to clean due to its intricate design
- Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Ii Digital 4 Group Espresso Machine Maureiivdg04Nd0001
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II Digital 4 Group Espresso Machine is made of stainless steel. It has a digital control display that gives the most accurate temperature control. From this reading, the barista can make the right changes to the water temperature for each group.
The temperature of each group head can be adjusted separately for ease of brewing different types of coffee drinks. The group height is adjustable, making it more versatile than other commercial espresso machines. It comes with 1L boiler of fresh water.
With the soft infusion system, it allows total control of pre-infusion for more consistent espresso shots. For more convenience, each of the group has its own fully automated flushing system. Steam wand has LED lighting and even the milk in the container gets illuminated too.
- An automatic model excellent for consistency and quality
- Steam wand has its own cooling system
- Easy to use and can fill small and tall cups
- The most expensive on this list
- Takes some time to master the operation, especially for non-baristas
- Chromed brass group with mechanical movement
- Water level control with sight glass
An elegant and exquisite commercial espresso machine, the La Pavoni Commercial Lever Espresso Machine still got the traditional design that fits any café interior. Just by the look and the shiny finish, you know it’s built to last, stable and durable. It has a device that makes it possible to have the same pressure level for all three groups.
As the name suggests, it employs the use of levers for more control over the extraction process. This process needs skilled barista for a very precise application of pressure as you pull the lever down. It has a huge 22L boiler with a boiler pressure gauge for easy monitor and control.
- Boiler has a pressure gauge for monitoring and controlling
- Has safety reset thermostat function to keep the machine from overheating
- Might strain your shoulder with the repeated pulling of the lever down
- Not a good choice if you don’t have an experienced barista to operate
- Groups made with press-forged brass and chrome plated, with vertical infusion chamber and pressurisation system
- Copper boiler equipped with transversal heat exchangers and front injectors for each group
La Pavoni Commercial Volumetric Espresso Machine has one hot water tap with a flexible spout for easy dispense of hot water. It has 22L boiler, which is quite of large capacity for easy steaming and brewing. It has a direct water feed, meaning you can connect it directly from the source to auto-refill of the water.
There are four position switches for this machine – for ease of operation. It has telescopic handles at the side for easy transport. The machine is easy to check and maintain since it’s accessible in front without the need to open the whole system.
There’s an electronic water level control, double scale pump gauge and a boiler pressure control for more flexibility and versatility. Anti-vacuum helps prevent liquids to flush into the steam. It’s equipped with programmable espresso dosing to achieve the espresso punch you want.
- Has programmable hot water button with flexible jet
- Front access for easy repairs and regular check-ups
- Quite expensive, though not as expensive as Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II
- Difficult to find references or instruction online
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST COMMERCIAL ESPRESSO MACHINE
For beginners, it might be confusing to choose which, among the commercial espresso machines is fit for your needs. Even just by looks, these coffee machines seem complicated to use. However, in general, you should look at the following in your prospect commercial espresso machine:
The machine you need has to meet commercial demands. Hence, it’s important to have a dual boiler – one for water at around 212 degrees and the other for the steam wand for lattes and others at 200 degrees(source).
Since you have to meet the demands of your customers in your business, manual commercial espresso machine might not be an option. Or if it is, look for a barista with vast experience. But, if you wanna to simplify things, just go to their semi automatic or super automatic.
Number of Group Heads
If your business is very busy, consider a commercial espresso machine that can accommodate more than one user at the same time. Two group heads can for four drinks, 3 for 6, and 4 for 8 drinks.
You might want to check out this YouTube video if you are still unsure of your criteria for choosing a commercial espresso machine.
OUR CHOICE FOR THE BEST COMMERCIAL ESPRESSO MACHINE
Preparing more coffee for different customers is very challenging. But, if you have the right tool – a reliable one – you don’t need to worry about the quality and flavor of any coffee drinks they demand. Good thing we have Gaggia 14101 Classic Semi-Automatic Espresso Maker.
Why not the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II Digital 4 Group Espresso Machine, you ask? Yes, the best in this list. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford it – even those who are in business won’t gamble for it, unless, the business is booming. So, for common users, the Gaggia 14101 Classic Semi-Automatic Espresso Maker is a perfect alternative and a good startup commercial espresso machine.
You have the option to choose different coffee drinks, 11 to be exact. It has a built-in ceramic burr grinder reliable to make different coffee grind size. Above all, at its low price point, one of the cheapest on the list, anyone can afford it. What are your thoughts about this?
Latest Deals on Our Top Pick
|1||Gaggia RI9380/46 Classic Pro Espresso Machine, Solid, Brushed Stainless Steel||31 Reviews||$449.00||See Deal|
|2||Gaggia RI8525/01 Carezza De LUXE Espresso Machine, Silver||28 Reviews||$332.49||See Deal|
|3||Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine in Black. Pannarello Wand Frothing for Latte and...||464 Reviews||$449.00||See Deal|
|4||Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine, Super Automatic Frothing for Latte, Macchiato,...||111 Reviews||$871.00 $828.49||See Deal|
|5||Gaggia RI9700/64 Babila Espresso Machine, Stainless Steel||$1,899.00||See Deal|