Our top picks at a glance
- Baratza Forte BG Burr Commercial Coffee Grinder
- Ditting KF1800 Industrial CoffeeGrinder
- Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro
- Baratza Forte AP Burr Commercial Coffee Grinder
- Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder
- BUNN 35600.0020 Multi-Hopper Coffee Grinder
- La Pavoni ZIP-R Commercial Coffee Grinder
- Mahlkonig K30 Twin On-Demand Espresso Grinder
- Simonelli Mythos One Espresso Grinder
- Nuova Simonelli Grinta Black Coffee Grinder
Do you have a restaurant or café and you want to bring your business to the next level? Do you have the best commercial coffee grinder? If you want to serve great-tasting and flavorful coffee for your coffee shop, you need a great commercial coffee grinder.
We know how critical it is to choose the right grinder that will deliver just the perfect coffee grind size you need for the kind of coffee you need to prepare. Not just consistent, but also capacitated and efficient. Hence, we made an intensive research and found ten (10) commercial coffee grinders.
Each product will be thoroughly discussed, presenting all the pros and cons. In this way, you can weigh the benefits and the weaknesses of each coffee grinder. For you to seal the deal and find the coffee grinder that’s perfect for your needs, we include a quick buying guide.
The best commercial coffee grinder 2021: top picks for coffee shops
Baratza is one of the most competitive commercial grinder brands in the market. And, with its affordable Baratza Forte BG Burr Commercial Coffee Grinder, you have endless possibilities in your restaurant or café. It doesn’t just have a hundred, but 260 grind settings — you can use it to grind other things, not just coffee.
With this grinder, you get to enjoy the performance of the 54mm steel flat burrs. Designed and engineered to give accurate and precise grinding, you can grind up to 5 lbs per day. It has a built-in digital scale to get you accurate weight-based grinding.
Likewise, there’s a digital timer with programmable buttons to save up to three different presets. It’s made of a polished metal body and takes only a little space with 5.12 × 7.09 × 14.17 inches dimension. It includes an auto-shut-off hopper, burr removal tool, and a simple burr calibration tool for easy operation.
- Handy and quick, just a press of a button
- Solid grinder, you’ll get perfectly uniform grinds
- Built-in scale is great for precise espresso dosing
- Can only make finer coffee grounds
- More complaints are on quality issues
- The price seems quite high compared to what it can do
If you need a dedicated coffee grinder for your business, getting the Ditting KF1800 Industrial Coffee Grinder is a wise investment. Ideal for small to medium-sized restaurants and cafés, this machine can keep up with the high demands of coffee grinding.
It’s advertised as small and compact, but note that this isn’t just any home appliance — it’s a commercial grinder. So, make sure you can allocate 20 × 20 × 65 inches space on your countertop. The good thing about this grinder is that you can set them up in series — set them up like an industrial-size grinder.
With its dimension, you can’t expect it to be light, it weighs 302 lbs. It’s not designed for home use, but for industrial use with a 6.25 horsepower motor.
It has 66 lbs hopper capacity, with an average grinding capacity of 12-13 lbs/min. Unfortunately, if you’re not someone knowledgeable about coffee grinders, you need to have this set up by experts.
- Industrial coffee grinder that can keep up with demanding café or restaurants
- Can be set up in series to make a large-scale industrial grinder
- Has outlet extension tube to grind into different hoppers
- Has huge footprint, you really need a space for it
- Needs professional installation, kind of complicated setup
- No portafilter rest if you just want to grind into the portafilter
Well, this doesn’t have as many grind settings as the Baratza Forte, but the Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder comes with 60 unique settings. It is more than enough for your needs unless you really want to get more fine-tune coffee grind sizes. It’s made of brushed stainless steel with an overall body dimension of 8.50 × 6.00 × 15.50 inches.
It’s advantageous in a lot of ways because of its clear and concise screen display. The precision digital timer helps you adjust the grind time in 0.2 second increment. Aside from that, you can also control the number of shots you want to prepare — a perfect dose every time.
You can grind directly into a portafilter or into a coffee grounds container. It comes with a portafilter cradle — 50 to 54 mm — so, you can grind into commercial-grade portafilters. It has an 18 oz coffee bean container with a smart locking system for easy cleaning, removal and cleaning.
- Bean hopper is airtight, you can just leave unused coffee beans for grinding on demand
- Smart controls to let you achieve consistent coffee grounds
- Easy to navigate and operate with the LCD screen
- Heats up very quickly and won’t last for long
- Hangs in the middle of grinding, more like it’s underpowered
- The impeller, the one that pushes the coffee beans down, is made of cheap plastic
When it comes to commercial-grade coffee grinders, Baratza is a very popular manufacturer. Now, we will introduce to you the cheaper Baratza Forte AP Burr Commercial Coffee Grinder. It’s a commercial coffee grinder that has some must-have features to make different coffee — espresso, Aeropress, French press, and so on.
This too has 260 grind settings, featuring 54 mm professional ceramic flat burrs. With this, you can achieve accurate and precise coffee grounds every single time. It has programmable buttons that you can save up to three different presets — program once and prepare a consistent dose every time. In addition, it also has a digital scale onboard for more accurate weight-based dosing.
Made with a polished metal body, it’s a good add-on to your kitchen and it won’t take too much space. Just clear a space of 5.20 × 7.10 × 14 inches and you will surely enjoy grinding with Baratza Forte AP. For safety measures, it has an auto-off hopper — mess-free and easy removal of the bean hopper.
- You can get perfect grind size for espresso and other brewing method
- No issues with static; step adjustment is perfect
- Well-built and has solid construction
- Beans remain on the flat ring of the base of the hopper
- Portafilter holder only works for selected portafilters
- Be careful in moving the unit, touchscreen can be dodgy
If you are new to coffee grinders, you don’t necessarily need to invest too much. You can check Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder — a compact burr grinder capable of grinding 7.7 lbs coffee beans per hour. It’s made of stainless steel equipped with 50 mm plate grinding burrs, so you’ll get the consistent ground size.
This grinder can take 9.80 × 4.70 × 13.80 inches space on your counter and it’s a bit hefty weighing 15.4 lbs. It has a compact design primarily crafted to grind into a bin container. Yet, it has a removable fork that holds your portafilter in place, as well.
Even though it’s not as expensive as other commercial grinders on this list, it has a 166-watt direct drive motor that’s powerful enough and spinning at 1725 RPMs. It’s quiet during operation and it’s really fast. You can fill the 0.5 oz tinted bean hopper and grind on-demand.
- Build to last with different grind settings
- Uniform grinding and an inexpensive burr grinder
- Can grind into portafilter for direct brewing
- Not as adjustable as other alternatives
- The switch is more complicated to operate
- Coffee beans may stick in the hopper any time
You should get a coffee grinder that brews in large quantities. Yet, it’s also an advantage to get a big hopper. That being said, here is BUNN 35600.0020 Multi-Hopper Coffee Grinder with two bean hoppers. These hoppers are front-loading, they’re very easy to refill with your favorite coffee beans.
Even though it has two hoppers, it is still compact with an overall body dimension of 20.30 × 20.30 × 25.80 inches. Aside from the advantage of having less frequency to refill coffee beans, they have microchips installed that will tell the grinder what coffee is in them. The brewer then reads the information and adjusts the coffee brewing recipe.
The grinder will adjust the grinder time for each batch to deliver the best coffee drink — right grind size, dose, and volume. With such a smart coffee grinder, multiple bean hoppers, and an affordable price tag, is there anything you need that it’s not in the BUNN Coffee Grinder?
- Can grind coffee for the most demanding coffee shops or restaurants
- Front-loading access of the hoppers is very convenient
- Dual hoppers are smart — use microchip to tell the grinder what coffee they have
- Definitely takes space, especially that it’s quite tall
- Only have one grinding station — can’t grind simultaneously
- Overall design doesn’t seem to be very appealing
La Pavoni is a well-known name when it comes to coffee makers and grinders. With the La Pavoni ZIP-R Commercial Coffee Grinder, you’ll get the benefit of quality craftsmanship, as well as high performance coffee grinding. It’s made of die-cast aluminum body and a built-in tamper with an overall dimension of 21 × 8 × 13 inches, weighing only 29 lbs.
It has some features not found in the previously mentioned coffee grinders, including the low-mounted motor and seal-slide technology. The former is beneficial to reduce the heat buildup, so you won’t have a burnt taste in your coffee grounds. The latter, is great to keep the beans from falling out when you need to clean the machine.
This heavy-duty machine has 63.5 mm diameter flat grindstones that can grind up to 13 lbs per hour. Its bean hopper has 2.2 lbs capacity and the system will automatically stop once the hopper is full. Dosing is also adjustable from 5 to 8 grams.
- Has built-in tamper and you can adjust the dosing
- Grinding smoothly, cleanly and consistently
- Built to take on the demands of a busy restaurant
- Some users need to replace the burrs upfront because they’re dull
- Heavy machine — you need to find a dedicated space for it
- Slightly pricey for the features it has
If you think the BUNN 35600.0020 Multi-Hopper Coffee Grinder isn’t the one you need, how about the Mahlkonig K30 Twin On-Demand Espresso Grinder? It features grind-on-demand, which allow you to grind directly into your favorite portafilters. What’s more amazing — you can grind from the two hoppers; hence, it’s called twin grinders.
Each bean hopper has a capacity of 1.76 lb with average grinding capacity of 4 grams/second. It has stepless grind adjustment — an 8-gram total grinding capacity through its 65 mm special steel burrs. It’s highly recognized with several certifications from ETL Sanity, ETL Safety, and CE, among others.
Mahlkonig advertised this twin machine to save 30% counter space with an overall dimension of 37 × 56 × 30 cm and weighs 72 lbs. While it’s capable of grinding on-demand, it also has an advanced cooling system to cool down the machine to keep up with the high demands in a busy shop.
- Twin grinders, very efficient with 65 mm steel burrs
- Smaller footprint, even though it’s more capable
- Integrated cooling system so the machine is always ready anytime
- Needs a professional to fully and completely set it up
- Slightly expensive compared to most alternatives in the list
- Stepless grinding adjustment takes time to learn and master
If you have some troubles getting the consistency of your results, Simonelli Mythos One Espresso Grinder gives you the ultimate solution. It comes with temperature-controlled burrs, so you’ll definitely get the perfect cup of coffee every time. It has 75 mm titanium burrs designed by experts for professionals and aspiring baristas alike.
The best commercial coffee grinder doesn’t only give you consistent and easy preparation, it should also give you easy operation. With that, you can see in this coffee grinder a multifunction LCD screen, plus micrometric grind adjustment. Other features include LED illumination, portafilter holder and clamp crushing tech.
Actually, Nuova Somonelli Mythos comes in various modes — Clima Pro, Plus and Basic — and the product we reviewed here is the one with espresso grinder. You can grind into the portafilters since this unit comes with a portafilter holder.
It’s available in black color only, but you can contact Nouva Simonelli for custom colors. Like most high-end commercial coffee grinder, this too needs professional setup.
- You can customize the settings to get the precise grind size
- Titanium burrs are known to last longer and are more efficient
- No coffee grounds in the mill chamber, so it’s always fresh and less waste
- Takes up too much space in your countertop
- Really among the most expensive products on the list
- Needs more adjustments than what it promises
Capable of grinding 10 lbs per hour, the Nuova Simonelli Grinta Black Coffee Grinder is indeed among the best commercial coffee grinder on the market. It’s simple to use and easy to adjust, you’ll get just the right coffee grounds. A more sufficient commercial coffee grinder for home use and for startup businesses.
Grinding process is very quick. Simply unlock the setting wheel and rotate to your desired grind level. Then, insert the portafilter into the lever. The next thing you know, you’re already enjoying your favorite coffee — be it espresso, drip-style, and so on.
There’s a switch below the chute that you’ll use to activate the grinder — no complicated buttons or display, just a button. Once you start grinding, the 50 mm flat steel burrs will work efficiently to give you perfect and consistent coffee grounds. Unfortunately, if you need to prepare Turkish coffee, you might look for another grinder as this one tends to get clogged easily for extra finer grounds.
- Works great, consistent grinds every time
- User-friendly controls and operation process
- Delivers more than what you expect for its price tag
- Has grinding level adjustment primarily meant for espresso
- Not ideal to grind coffee beans for Turkish coffee — could clog the chute
- More like a grinder at home than for commercial use
What to Consider When Buying a Commercial Coffee Grinder
It is very easy to handpick a product if we know our needs and our preferences. But, with so many choices in the market, having to decide and pick the best commercial coffee grinder, is indeed a chore most people don’t like to do. And, as dedicated coffee aficionados, we love to simplify the complicated stuff of coffee making.
Trimming this list of 10 products from the steam of coffee grinders available, isn’t that difficult because we have established some criteria. We’ll share the first four considerations with you right here — right now!
There’s no one-size-fits-all coffee grinder — each is made unique and for certain purposes. Do you need the grinder for your business or you just need it for household use? If you run a business, according to Grinder Guides, you should at least have the following:
- Airtight bean hopper/s
- Consistent coffee grounds
- Grinds without overheating
Conical Burr vs Flat Burr vs Blade Grinders
If you’ve noticed, our list didn’t mention blade grinders, because in general, burr grinders are more popular than blade grinders. Actually, blade grinders are mostly used at home, while the burr grinders are used for heavy-duty grinding, like in the commercial setting.
Now, burr grinders are further subdivided into flat vs conical burr grinders. Fresh Cup Magazine explained the difference between the two. For best results (based on our experience) we love the conical burr grinders simply because they are consistent and efficient.
Doser Grinder vs Doserless Grinder vs Stepped Grinder
The key to most businesses serving coffee is fast, yet efficient. For those running a busy shop and need an espresso shot really fast, you should get a doser grinder that pre-measures the coffee grounds it grinds.
On the other hand, for a slow-paced restaurant, a doserless grinder ensures high quality, flavorful and fresh-tasting coffee. There’s also stepped and stepless grinders. The former is easy and efficient, while the latter gives professional baristas complete command of their craft.
Maintenance and Cleaning
You must ensure the coffee grinder you use won’t give you too much headache when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. You must know that if you use the grinder for your business, you have customers who can’t wait. So, better get a commercial grinder that’s easy to clean, maintain, and shouldn’t be prone to clogging and jamming up.
This YouTube video is very informative and gives you so much information about commercial espresso grinders. It answers some of the most common questions people are asking about grinders. Check this out as you might have the same questions in your head right now.
Our Top Pick
Efficiency and consistency are the two things your commercial coffee grinder should have to get great-tasting coffee on demand. And, based on rigorous testing and research, the best commercial coffee grinder that delivers these two and more is the Baratza Forte BG Burr Commercial Coffee Grinder. It gives not just a consistent and quick grinding cycle, but easy operation, too.
One highlight feature of this grinder is the built-in scale for a more accurate weight-based grinding. There’s a digital timer too, which allows you to save up to three different presets.
If you’re not convinced with these features, how about its whooping 260 different grind setting levels? For sure, you have a lot of experimentation to do. Brace yourself — from now on, you’re going to make great coffee with the Baratza Forte BG Burr coffee grinder.
Today’s Deal on Our Top Pick