As a coffee lover, you should know the difference between an espresso and a French press, especially about the coffee ground size used.
Espresso and French press are located on the opposite side of the grind setting spectrum.
While you need finer grinds for espresso, you need coarser grounds for the French press.
Related: Best Coffee for French Press
A French press coffee maker is a simple machine that extracts the greatness of each coffee bean. With French press coffee, you got a lot of benefits including retained antioxidants and natural oils. And, it’s the fastest and simplest way to get a cup of coffee any time of the day.
It’s funny how simple the French press works. So, now it’s time to check the best coffee grinders for the french press.
Everything will be explained, including the pros and cons, as well as the features.
The best French press coffee grinders
- KRUPS F203 Electric Coffee Grinder
- Mr. Coffee Electric Coffee Grinder
- Bodum BISTRO Blade Grinder
- Mueller HyperGrind Electric Coffee Grinder
- Epica Electric Coffee Grinder
- JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
- Simple Kitchen Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder
- Bodum K10938-01US Coffee Grinder
- OXO BREW Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
- Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr
A multi-purpose tool is what we always look for — space-efficient and may be cheaper than buying one by one. KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder is both a coffee grinder and cooking tool. Its stainless steel blades are very efficient in cutting coffee beans and spices into smaller and uniform pieces.
Its oval shape bean container aids the blades for more consistent grinding. It can grind up to 85 grams, which is equivalent to around 12 cups of Frenh press coffee. If you have a drip coffee maker, grinding your coffee with this machine only takes you less than 10 seconds.
- Reliable blade grinder that can really turn nearly everything into pieces
- Very quick to grind, only takes seconds
- Its design makes it difficult to clean the grinder
- Don’t have preset grind settings — takes time to achieve consistency in your grinding
- To get more consistent coffee grounds, need to shake the grinder
The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Electric Coffee Grinder is sleek in design. It’s a reliable grinder that gives you the right coffee grounds for your French press. It has a strength setting — fine, medium, or coarse. These settings hold true even when you grind spices and nuts.
It has a built-in Chamber Maid Cleaning System that automatically sweeps the walls to get rid of the mess. You have the option to grind coffee beans for 4 cups to 12 cups, with dedicated buttons.
Bean container is transparent for you to monitor the grinding and it has a secure locking system for more safety grinding.
- Reliable self-cleaning system
- Inexpensive, given its multiple settings and options
- May produce inconsistent coffee grounds
- Design is great, but overall functionality is mediocre
- Might grind some plastic part
A handy coffee grinder and a French press are two of the great travel buddies a coffee lover can have. And, if you are looking for a grinder, Bodum BISTRO Blade Grinder might be a great choice for you.
It has a stainless steel blade grinder that is strong and durable. This machine is quick to grind and ensures to give you the coffee grounds of your liking.
It’s very easy to operate with a single pulse or press of a button, for coarse or fine grinding, respectively. In a single operation, you can collect coffee grounds up to 8 cups of French press coffee. The ground coffee goes well with the Bodum coffee maker.
- Easy to clean since it doesn’t have many parts
- Has a transparent lid that helps you monitor and see the coarseness of your coffee
- Pulse-operated, can’t hold the button for more than 60 seconds
- In case of damage, most parts aren’t replaceable
Instead of buying pre-ground coffee and complain of your French press coffee, why not grind your own coffee? Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Coffee Grinder is a great coffee grinder for French press or drip coffee. With its very powerful grinder, you’ll be able to pulverize coffee beans, herbs or spices.
In the kitchen, this machine is a great complement to your nice countertop and kitchen design. If you want to savor the aroma and the full-bodied flavor of your coffee, grind your beans on this machine.
Crafted with German precision machinery, this high-quality machines guarantees great output. So, for its price tag, it’s a valuable choice.
- Versatile, especially that it’s equally good at grinding spices, seeds and nuts
- Doesn’t take up too much space in your kitchen
- More grinding settings
- Low-quality grinding
- Grinder is taller, doesn’t fit under most kitchen cabinets
Comes with modern design and stainless steel finish, Epica Electric Coffee Grinder & Spice Grinder is a good add-on to your kitchen. It is equipped with a dual-blade system that turns coffee beans into pieces in just a few seconds. It’s a multipurpose grinder since you can grind spices, too.
Since grinding can be a bit powerful, Epica has a secure lock system that turns the system off when the lid is removed. The base is shock absorbing and has anti-skid feet. This allows the system to stay in place even for a prolonged period of grinding.
It comes with a 70g bean container and a huge button for very comfortable operation. For better result, don’t hold the button, instead, pulse it. The grinding cup is removable for easy pouring of the coffee grounds to your French press or to a storage container.
- Removable cup makes it very easy to clean and take out the coffee grounds
- Since made of stainless steel, the smell can be removed by washing thoroughly
- Motor is powerful, but not that durable
- Grind is inconsistent — good for spices, but not for coffee beans
Simple design, yet quality-made, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is among the best options for coffee lovers. The ceramic burr grinder helps you get consistency and precision in every grinding process. It’s very small, fits in any bag and can be bought and used anywhere.
It’s all made of stainless steel, so durability is ensured. Its parts are quick to assemble/re-assemble which makes it very easy to clean and use. The removable hand crank mechanism allows you to operate this quietly.
Remember, though it’s manual, it has a built-in grind selector up to 15 different settings. So, whether you are in the mood for drip coffee or French press, this small machine will definitely save your day.
- Grinds fast and more efficient for French press
- Very easy to clean and store
- The device is very slow, especially when grinding espresso
- Sometimes, due to the manual operation, coffee grounds might be inconsistent
The ability to grind your own coffee at your own preferences anytime is the best benefit of a grinder. Simple Kitchen Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder is handy and portable. Not only that, the dual ceramic conical burr grinders allow you to get consistent coffee grounds.
With its ergonomic design, it’s very easy to grip with one hand and use the other hand for grinding. The manual operation gets rid of the heat that removes the coffee’s benefits and aroma.
This durable and portable hand coffee grinder guarantees a great French press from whatever coffee beans you prefer. However, take note that coffee quality is also a factor. So, for this quality manual coffee, you’ll need quality coffee beans, as well.
- Very easy to clean and simple to operate
- Nice even coffee grounds
- Smooth operation, never heats up the coffee beans
- Takes a while to brew, especially when in need of fine grounds
- You seem to be experimenting all the time, no way to set your grinding setting
“Good design doesn’t have to be expensive,” the Bodum motto. Bodum K10938-01US Coffee Grinder incorporates this for a beautiful design with great functionality. First off, it’s cheaper than most grinders in this list, plus it’s not just a grinder, but a bundle with a coffee maker and a water kettle.
Our focus is on the grinder; so, well discount the beautiful French press and the kettle for now. The grinder comes with a powerful motor that helps the stainless steel blade to cut the coffee bean into small pieces efficiently.
The longer the grinding, the finer the coffee grounds will be. But, you can monitor the coarseness of the coffee grounds, through the transparent lid. You can stop and continue the grinding process using the single button of the machine.
- Very small and compact, easy to use and transportable
- Can be used at home or in the office because it’s handy
- Manual grinding, stop when you think the coarseness is perfect for you
- Small capacity, up to 8 cups of French press coffee grounds
If you need a coffee grinder for your morning coffee ritual, OXO BREW Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is for you. It gives you the freedom to choose from 15 grind settings, plus micro settings. The 40mm stainless steel conical burr gives you great coffee grounds for the best extraction.
It has 0.75lbs of coffee bean holder that can produce 110 grams of coffee grounds enough for 12 cups of coffee. You only need to turn the timer to your desired grind time and press the OXO button. To stop the grinding, simply press the OXO button again.
- Solid stainless steel ground receiver that locks during grinding
- Compact design and small footprint for easy storage and transport
- Grinder is quite even grinding, quick to operate
- Can only preset time of grinder, no option for “number of cups”
- Sometimes feed beans into the coffee grounds
- Might not produce consistent coffee ground sizes
Has both extra fine and coarse grind settings, the Capresso 560.01 Infinity is a versatile coffee grinder for various needs. It comes with a total of 16 different grind settings. For the coarse setting, you can choose one of the four fineness settings.
With the commercial-grade conical steel burrs, you’ll get quality coffee grounds. Since the gear motion is reduced, expect a little static build-up, but quieter operation. In this process, you’ll also avoid burnt coffee since overheating is prevented.
It can grind up to 4.4oz from the 8.8oz bean holder in one grinding complete grinding. It’s easy to operate with a single toggle switch.
- Slower speed gives more aroma and character to each ground
- Quieter compared to other grinders
- Coffee ground sizes may be inconsistent
- Needs cleaning since coffee residue stuck in the grinder due to the slow process
- Some say that coarse grind for this machine is actually a medium grind
Having a perfect French press coffee grounds is one thing. That’s just a part of the story to make good coffee. Among the other things to consider are as follows:
Consistency — If the grinder produces uniform coffee grounds, you’ll get great coffee, even with an entry-level French press. If you can’t get consistent coffee grounds, don’t expect any better-tasting coffee.
Type of Coffee Grinders — Each type makes completely different coffee grounds(source). Moreover, you can also consider whether manual or automatic grinders or if it’s stainless or ceramic.
Coffee grinders make or break your French press coffee. This YouTube video will help you choose your best grinder for French press.
Read: How to Use French Press?
Grinding your own beans is the best way to start unleashing that barista inside of you. However, without the aid of a good machine, with a great type of grinder, everything will just be a nightmare.
That being said, we choose KRUPS F203 as the best coffee grinder for french press. It’s made of stainless steel for durability, coupled with a ceramic burr grinder for consistency of coffee grounds. It’s small, very easy to use, to assemble and disassemble.
With its versatile settings as well as its ability to grind fast, who don’t want to have this best coffee grinder?