For coffee aficionados, you know that French press coffee brewing method is the simplest and purest way of brewing coffee. There are so many reviews on French press coffee machines already, hence, we focus on giving you a list of the best coffee for French press.
We’ve also include some tips on how we chose our coffee beans for French press. Additionally, you can see our recommended coffee beans, which most of us are using.
10 Best coffee for French press 2021
- Kicking Horse Coffee
- Real Good Coffee French Roast Dark
- Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend
- Bulletproof French Kick Ground Coffee
- Two Volcanoes Coffee Medium Roast
- Death Wish Whole Bean Coffee
- Strong AF Coffee Ground Bean
- Koffee Kult Coffee Beans Dark Roasted
- Stone Street Coffee Colombian Supremo
- Chestbrew Whole Bean Vietnamese Coffee
Great not only for French press, but also for drip, pour-over, or espresso coffee, the Kicking Horse Coffee is the ultimate choice for a lot of coffee addicts. Experience the heavenly taste of Arabica coffee from Africa, Indonesia, Central & South America in each pack of this coffee.
It’s recognized as organic, Fairtrade, Kosher, shade-grown, and sustainable. So, it’s not only good for drinkers, but also the farmers. And, each time you prepare coffee using the Kicking Horse coffee beans, you can get silky and smooth coffee.
It’s a manifesto of fresh and delicious coffee in every cup. French press plus the Kicking Horse Coffee beans is just enjoyable and addicting — without getting an upset stomach due to acidity or volatile oils.
- Good, flavorful coffee anyone can enjoy
- You can smell the freshness each time you grind the beans
- Also good for cold brew, espresso and pour over
- Expensive, with a lot of cheaper alternatives
- Not ideal for those who want lighter and less strong coffee
- Some find the beans to be dry
For those who want an extra punch to keep up with the busy schedule, the Real Good Coffee French Roast Dark could be for you. It’s made of sustainable dark roast premium quality Arabica coffee beans from South and Central America.
Real Good coffee features rich, more subtle flavors of raspberry and dark chocolate with a taste of the Mediterranean spice anise. With a French press coffee machine, you still get strong coffee without the bitter taste — very sophisticated for any palate. You can also use this coffee in your favorite Aeropress, pour-over, drip, and even espresso coffee machines.
Roasted by a Seattle-based company with over 30 years of experience, you get only the best quality coffee in every cup. Your day will never be so fulfilling after you consume a cup of coffee. It’s 100% Arabica coffee beans and Kosher-recognized — no additives, preservations, and any artificial ingredients that will take a toll on your health.
- Perfectly roasted dark coffee beans without bitter taste using a French press
- One of a kind customer service – really addresses any concern
- The bag comes with it keeps the beans fresh for a month
- Kind of greasy-looking coffee beans and will stick in the grinder
- High acid content
- Inconsistent coffee bean quality
If you happen to be a fan of dark roasted coffee, you might love Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend. Only sourced from the high-quality, best of the best coffee farms in the world, you’ll enjoy its world-class flavor notes — rich, full-bodied, and tasteful. There’s always perfection in every blend — consistent through every pack of Peet’s coffee.
Aside from getting the best beans from around the world, every bean is carefully selected to ensure high-quality roasted beans, especially for French Press. The best coffee beans not only give you that bold taste, but also the freshness and aroma. Each pack of Peet’s coffee major dickason’s blend is processed in small batches to keep the freshness and natural taste in every cup.
Who says addiction is bad? Well, not if you are just a coffee addict. Fresh beans professionally picked and carefully roasted – just a few reasons why Peet’s coffee is just so addicting.
- Its strong smell gives you that unexplainable excitement
- Whole beans are consistent
- Not bitter, not bland, just smooth and perfect flavor
- Some users complained about nearing expiry date on each pack
- Coffee beans are quite old, but you can still mix it with fresh beans
You don’t need a coffee grinder at home to make a good cup coffee. After all, what you need is high-quality coffee that’s best for a French press. Bulletproof gives you the best through its rigorous process and testing – in every pack of Bulletproof French Kick Ground Coffee (Dark Roast).
The ground coffee you’ll get from Bulletproof comes from coffee beans hand-picked by professionals. And, these beans came from coffee farms in Central American and grown at high altitude.
After harvesting, it’s deliciously roasted with a smoky aroma of chocolate — rendering a smooth and sweet blend. Before you can enjoy your espresso or French press coffee, the product undergoes the strictest condition and rigorous testing. Moreover, each Bulletproof French coffee grounds contain minimal toxins, so it’s a healthier choice compared to other alternatives.
- Premium quality, Keto- and Paleo-friendly
- Some strong dark coffee as the name suggests
- Smooth and rich without that bitter taste
- Coffee aroma and taste may differ from one pack to the other
- Most complain about this product are on the expiry date and unsealed packs
- Still, others aren’t satisfied with the coffee — not dark and intense
If you want to experience a unique taste of the coffee you never had before, try the Two Volcanoes Coffee Medium Roast whole beans. Unlike the first few products wherein the beans come from different regions, Two Volcanoes coffee only gets the best from Guatemala. So, you can taste and smell rare, unique, and flavorful coffee every morning.
Unlike dark roasted coffee, this is medium roasted Arabica coffee beans giving your coffee rich minerals with enhanced flavor and aroma. With a French press brewing method, achieving a perfect balance between flavor, aroma, and acid content is easy.
To preserve the freshness of organic coffee beans in every pack, it’s roasted in small batches. Indeed, the process is a bit expensive, but it gives you premium-quality coffee that draws out all the natural taste of each bean into your cup. This coffee is perfect for the Aeropress machine, espresso coffee maker, and even for French press.
- Has interesting tasting notes, but has a nice chocolate finish
- Consistent medium roast and the taste is, too
- Not over-roasted, you can still taste the natural flavor of coffee
- Missing aroma and freshness — better buy from the manufacturer
- Still, others can taste a little bitterness in the coffee
- Good, but still doesn’t justify the price
Get started every day with a dose of a strong French press coffee from Death Wish. The world’s strongest coffee, Death Wish Whole Bean Coffee is a blend of roasted Arabica and Robusta giving you an extra kick to get going. It’s a highly caffeinated coffee made with only USDA-approved and Fairtrade-certified coffee beans.
The unique blend of Arabica and Robusta beans along with the slow roasting process and small-batch roasting make Death Wish coffee the best. This product undergoes a slow roasting process to double the caffeine content of your coffee. The small-batch roasting retains the freshness in your coffee — maximum aroma and natural taste.
Every pack of Death Wish coffee has a low-acidity blend, yet still has that strong punchy taste. You can enjoy an intense, bold flavor without the bitter aftertaste. You can easily distinguish its subtle notes of cherry and chocolate — a perfect coffee in every cup.
- Really gives the kick it promises
- Smooth and great-tasting coffee in each cup
- Organic and Fairtrade — a good buy to support the farmers
- The aroma didn’t wow some users
- Though it gives a kick, some aren’t sure it’s the strongest as it claimed to be
- Comes with low-quality Robusta instead of the ‘standard’ Arabica
Now we’re going to an Asian product that also promises a boost of adrenaline like the Death Wish. The Strong AF Coffee Ground Bean came from farms of Vietnam. Robusta beans don’t have pesticides and are carefully hand-picked
It’s already available in coffee grounds, so you don’t need to have a grinder — consistent coffee size, to easily prepare your coffee. It’s a great coffee bean choice for French press, espresso, pour-over, and even drip-style coffee. Since its roasted batch after batch, each pack is fresh and full of flavor.
Kick start your day with something more natural-style of French press coffee. The best in Asia, just one to two cups of this coffee will surely keep you going through your day. Each pack is 100% bean Robusta flavor known to get you moving with its explosive flavors.
- You’re going to enjoy the rich complex aroma of this coffee
- Smooth and has a little sweetness to it
- Not only for French press, but even for automatic coffee machines
- Nothing special for those who love more punch
- Packaging is flimsy, doesn’t seal the freshness properly
If you don’t like Real Good coffee because of its inconsistent coffee bean quality in each bag, try the Koffee Kult Coffee Beans Dark Roasted. Coffee beans from Columbia, Guatemala, and Sumatra and roasted in small-batch, packed and shipped to keep freshness and consistent quality in every bag. Labeled as dark roasted coffee, you can experience its bold flavor, smooth and not bitter — for French press.
Each coffee bean in every bag is organic and full-bodied, blended into precisely roasted coffee to give you perfection in every cup. It’s organic, fresh, and eco-friendly.
From opening the bag to grinding and brewing, there’s this irresistible aroma of freshness, you can’t wait to have a sip. This comes with cocoa, cinnamon, bright with a long finish, you can get out of the bed, already. Whether you make gourmet coffee, espresso or French press, a single cup will surely give you a powerful adrenaline boost.
- Simply fantastic, more like you’re drinking a dark chocolate
- Reliable bag, not flimsy to seal the freshness of each bean
- Taste wonderfully no matter how you prepare your coffee
- Some coffee bags come with rock — could break your grinder
- Exceptionally light for those who are really into drinking dark coffee
- The beans seem dry for some users, easily powdered
Craving for an iced coffee during the hot days of summer? Well, you need the Stone Street Coffee Colombian Supremo — especially roasted and processed for cold brew. It’s a pack of coarsely ground, dark roasted coffee you can use to make an iced coffee.
Made with 100% Arabica from the best of Colombian Supremo origin, you get only the best coffee beans quality. Stone Street coffee have low acidity, well-balanced, and slightly sweet flavor in each pack. If you want to go through the hassle of grinding your beans, they also have whole beans with the specifications as the coffee grounds.
Packed and sealed with freshness as their packaging is top-notched. It’s a three-layer natural craft with fold resealable bag that keeps the freshness, so, the natural taste of your coffee. It has a one-way degassing valve to keep the aroma and freshness of the product.
- Makes delicious cold brew coffee, as well
- Great for hot coffee, as well — French press or pour-over style
- The aroma will fill the house each time you open it
- Nice coffee grounds, but the price is unreasonably high
- Others just find this an average product, not great
- For black drinkers, this isn’t the one you’re looking for
Another Vietnamese coffee product, let’s check out Chestbrew Whole Bean Vietnamese Coffee. It’s made of Arabica coffee, unlike the Strong AF Coffee that’s made of Robusta coffee beans. Enjoy the smooth, strong, and exotic flavors of a Vietnamese coffee in every cup of the Chestbrew coffee.
Though these coffee beans are specially roasted for cold coffee, it’s perfect for French press, drip, Chemex, and more. So, whether you want to quench your thirst with a cold Vietnamese coffee or want a punch to keep going, this coffee is perfect.
Each Arabica coffee bean is carefully selected through a high-tech roasting process. From selecting, roasting, and packing, experience how the Asians define quality.
- Takes coffee drinking to a whole new level of freshness
- Smooth and liquid velvety
- Good coffee — perfect for hot and iced coffee
- There aren’t a lot of flavors in your cup of joe
- Taste bitter than what you expect from a dark roasted coffee
- Packaging is the real deal-breaker
What to Consider When Buying a Coffee for French Press
French press brewing method is very convenient, but you need the best coffee quality to appreciate it. Here are some things to consider when buying one.
Freshly Roasted Coffee
Ultimately, using fresh beans gives you the best coffee compared to old beans. That’s why you need to check on the label the roasted date and/or expiry date. Check out the roasted date because once roasted, the quality of the coffee will change gradually.
If it’s possible, use only beans, roasted within the last two weeks.
Coffee Grounds vs. Whole Beans
For most coffee lovers, buying whole beans is great because you can experiment with the grind size you can use to make the best French press coffee. Especially if you have a nice burr grinder with different grinding levels, you can personalize.
Choose a medium roasted, coarse grind coffee grounds for french press. Make sure that it’s coarse grind or you don’t enjoy the best of French press.
You can find in our list some products with a single origin, while others have multiple origins. In addition, you have also noticed — Arabica and Robusta — frequently mentioned. Arabica is usually the best, but they tend to be more expensive. Robusta, on the other hand, has more caffeine content, and they are generally cheaper.
South America and a few places in Africa have the best Arabica coffee, while Robusta is mostly found in Africa and South-East Asia.
If you want to know about the coffee you need for French press coffee, this video might help. It discusses everything about Robusta and Arabica and why we need both (or need either) in our coffee. It also gives you more ideas about coffee making, so enjoy!
Our Top Pick
Right now, you might have your ultimate choice based on the ten products we have, as well as the criteria we laid out. We are now revealing our ultimate best, as well.
Based on our experience and from the reviews we read from different reliable sources online, our team is in unison for the Kicking Horse Coffee. No promises, just a premium quality coffee in every cup. It’s great for different brewing methods including pour-over, drip, espresso, and French press.
The best coffee is usually made from 100% Arabica beans — grown and hand-picked by experts. The Kicking Horse coffee is organic, Fairtrade, sustainable, etc. What else are you looking for in a coffee?
Well, one downside of this coffee is that it’s expensive — the most expensive one on the list. But you should know that Arabica is of high-quality than Robusta and so, the high price is understandable. This coffee is more than worth it because you’ll enjoy your coffee, cup after cup.
Today’s Deal on Our Top Pick