Getting right and consistent grinds is what you need to enjoy great coffee cup after cup. With that being said, there’s just one thing you need to have — the best burr coffee grinder.
You don’t need to scratch your head or cram, as there are tons of them. Some coffee machines even have built-in burr grinder. Yet, if you are on the look for a grinder only, we can help you through this roundup article.
We are a team of coffee aficionados whose goal is to help our fellow get the best coffee of their life — every single time. Hence, we’ve made thorough research, test several burr grinders, and ask experts on their favorites. And, now, we are sharing all these with you!
Top 10 Best Burr Coffee Grinders
- Removable grind chamber holds enough ground coffee for 32 cups. Dimensions : 6.00 L x 7.13 W x 10.75 H inches. Cord length : 34 Inches
Let’s get started with an automatic burr grinder from Cuisinart, the Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill. You can consistently grind your coffee beans to provide optimum flavor. This has 18 different grind levels — you can get the ultimate grind size for your coffee — from ultra-fine to extra-coarse.
This grinder is made of brushed stainless-steel casing with an overall body dimension of 10.75 × 7.13 × 6.00 inches. Grind according to your needs, from 2-18 cups, but still, keep the remaining coffee grounds in the chamber. Aside from consistent coffee grounds, you can get maximum oils, aroma, and flavors.
The grinding chamber, which is where the coffee grounds are stored is removable and capable of storing up to 32 cups. As the name suggests, this is an automatic grinder with an electric timer. It’ll automatically shut off when the grind cycle is completed.
- Elegant exterior, shiny stainless steel casing
- Has up to 18 different grinding level settings
- Automatic — just hit a button and it’ll do the rest
- Noisy during operation, unacceptably loud for some
- It’ll take longer for this machine to grind your beans
- You’ll get messy when you pour coffee grounds from the chamber
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- DIGITAL TIMER and BACKLIT GROUNDS BIN - a 40-second digital timer, adjustable to a tenth of a second, and an LED backlit grounds bin to dose ground coffee accurately and consistently.
Preferred by coffee professionals, the Baratza Virtuoso+ Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, has more than what you can think in a burr grinder. It has 40 steps of grind adjustment, easy controls with a digital timer display, and more. This high-performance burr grinder makes perfect and consistent grinds for a perfect coffee every day.
With more grind settings than you might need, you can grind to your heart’s desire — brew all kinds of coffee. The front-mounted multi-functional dial allows you to adjust the 40-second digital timer and press it to grind. You can grind directly into the portafilter or the included bin.
The coffee grounds container bin is backlit so you can see how much coffee grounds you have inside. It has a compact and small footprint of only 6.69 × 6.69 × 12.60 inches. The bean hopper on top has 8 oz capacity and is very easy to refill.
- Very solid and easy to clean
- Digital timer is precise, so you get the right amount every time
- Much quieter and you can see consistent grinds per cycle
- Much more expensive than most burr grinders on this list
- Bean hopper seems to be made of thin plastic
- Could be messy when you remove the coffee bin
- Metallic flat burr coffee grinder for coffee lovers Power 110 W
- Burr mill system avoids overheating, preserves aroma and has grind fineness selector for a precise grinding
Not all the best coffee grinders manufacturers claimed to be are indeed the best. Yet, some of them are just excellent in functionality, build and price, like the KRUPS GX5000 Professional Burr Grinder. It’s made of plastic, though, but wait until you see the bells and whistles it has.
This grinder has a metallic flat burr that will ensure perfect and consistent coffee grounds. The burr mill system avoids overheating to preserve the aroma and natural taste of your coffee. It has a fineness selector (from 1 to 9) so you can have fine grinds for espresso or coarse for French press.
In addition, it also has a quantity selector from 2 to 12 cups so you can choose how much to grind. It has 8 oz bean container on top, bringing the overall body dimension to 4.29 × 7.24 × 10.4 inches. This machine has safety settings, like the microswitches and auto-stop function.
- Perfect location of the bean hopper
- Durable construction and seems to last longer
- Compact and nicely fits any counter or table
- Grinding is more for espresso level, even towards coarser settings
- Messy every after grinding
- Sometimes, the quantity selector doesn’t work
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
From the flat burr of KRUPS, we now go to the conical burr grinder from Breville, the BCG820BSSXL – The Smart Grinder Pro. From the name, you can extract some idea that this grinder has some smart features. Indeed, it has some controls you can’t see in other cheaper alternatives.
It has 60 unique grind settings, so you can get the ultimate grind size for the kind of coffee that can satisfy your palate. It has a dosing IQ, LCD display to navigate the settings, plus buttons. Additionally, it has a precision timer, thus, you can adjust the grind time in 0.2 second increment.
The 18 oz coffee bean container has a smart locking system for easy storing, removal, and dispensing. You can grind directly to your portafilter, grounds bin, and gold-tone filter or basket. Made of stainless steel, this 8.5 × 6 × 15.5 inches coffee grinder is a good investment for all its features.
- Still consistent and able to grind coffee the way you like
- Nice display, easy to use and navigate
- Bean hopper has a nice design, airtight — also used to store the beans
- Has plastic impeller which makes it hard to push the coffee down
- Heats up very quickly and won’t last for long
- This model seems to be underpowered, it might hang sometimes
- Durable 40 millimeter stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- 15 settings (plus Micro settings) let you adjust your grind to suit your taste
Another excellent choice for coffee lovers who prefer a conical burr grinder is, the OXO BREW Conical Burr Coffee Grinder. It’s very easy to operate without sacrificing the quality of your coffee grounds. No digital read-out though, but it’s just designed to be used easily and efficiently.
It has 40 mm stainless steel conical bars — creating consistent coffee ground and extracting the maximum flavor of each coffee bean. The 15 settings (with micro settings) allow you to easily dial from fine espresso grounds to coarse French press coffee grounds. It has a one-touch start button and the machine will remember this setting — forever.
If you think this grinder is for you, note that it measures 7.4 × 12 × 16 inches — you better have space for this in your counter. The bean hopper can hold up to 0.75 lb coffee beans, while the grounds container’s maximum capacity is 110 grams (12 cups). Its intuitive design and process help you pull out consistent shots — every time.
- Everything about this is very easy to clean, no need to unscrew things
- Consistency from one brewing cycle to the next
- Aesthetically pleasing and materials used seem durable
- Makes a lot of vibration and grounds container won’t lock in place
- Takes up a ‘space’ in your counter
- The motor is slower in this grinder compared to others
- HIGHEST QUALITY - This new Mueller Conical Burr Grinder provides you with the highest quality and newest technology on the market. The hardened alloy steel conical burr coffee grinder gives you the perfect control over the grind size and uniform grinding for full coffee flavor.
- LARGE CAPACITY - Coffee bean hopper and removable grounds container have the capacity to produce 30-32 cups of great tasting coffee.
Here’s another conical burr grinder that will help you become worry-free with your coffee grinding. Instead of stainless steel burrs, Mueller Ultra-Grind Conical Burr Grinder has hardened alloy steel, giving you complete control over the grind size. With the coarseness adjustment knob, you can choose from fine to coarse, depending on your mood.
Unlike other grinders, the Muller grinder drops the coffee grinds into the coffee bin, so there are no residues in any tube. You are assured of fresh ground coffee per cycle. It has a detachable driving system and detachable grinding chamber so you can clean them thoroughly.
You can grind directly to your portafilter or a container if you are grinding in bulk. This 18.03 × 10.79 × 5.83 inches grinder is among the lowest noise models with only 76 dB working noise. Just enjoy grinding your coffee with its simple controls and functionalities like the cup volume indicator and the coarseness adjustments.
- Impressive design gives you uniform grind
- Can directly grinder to portafilter or coffee jar
- No timer knob, whatsoever, just a press of a button
- Sometimes the unit gets messy
- Coffee jar lid is pressure-tight, can’t remove it lightly
- Coffee beans just got stuck, need a tap to continue grinding
- 50mm commercial grade grinding burrs. Grinds directly into porta filter for simple operation
- Powerful 166-watt direct drive quiet operation motor. All units are tested prior packaging which might leave a small trace of coffee residue. Please refer the video under product images for overview
Though it’s the most expensive on the list, Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder has been a favorite by many for its capacity. You can grind in seconds with its powerful 166-watt direct-drive motor onboard. In fact, it can give you 7.7 lbs of ground coffee in an hour.
SD Rocky is a burr grinder with 50 mm plate grinding burrs like those used in entry-level commercial grinders. It has simple controls with less fancy setup, allowing you to enjoy the quick grinding process. There’s only a removable fork to hold your portafilter and directly grind coffee into it.
This grinder also gives you the convenience of changing the grind size by simply unlocking the lever and rotating the bean hopper. Even though the grinder is quick, it never gives you the annoying grinding sound. It’s tinted bean hopper has a capacity of 0.5 lb allowing you to grind fresh on demand.
- Can get a much richer and finer extraction
- Consistently good grinds, and fast
- Small footprint of only 9.80 × 4.70 × 13.80 inches
- A bit expensive — lacks bells and whistles for its price
- Can’t use oily beans, the grinder will get jammed up
- Lots of coffee grinds left in the burrs, could be inefficient
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
With a separate grinder, you can enjoy the number of different grinding levels it can offer. With the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, you have up to 40 individual grind settings — from fine for espresso to coarse for French press. Its 40 mm hardened steel burrs, the best for coffee grinders, because you can get quality grinds.
It has an 8 oz bean hopper that sits on top of the machine — made of clear plastic with a fill line so you’ll know when to refill. Even though this coffee grinder is small— 4.70 × 6.30 × 13.80 inches — it’s workaholic, like how you become after drinking your favorite coffee.
It’s compact with no fancy controls — just a toggle switch to have either continuous or pulse grinding. This mighty grinder fits nicely to most kitchen countertops and cabinets. And, if you’re concerned about the price, don’t be, it’s just over $100.
- Reasonably priced and gives consistent coffee grounds
- Straightforward operation and relatively easy to clean
- Has a compact footprint, very space-efficient
- For its price, it could have some more features
- Needs intensive care, don’t allow it to clog
- Can get messy, you need to clean up after every use
- POWERFUL GRINDING: 250 Watt motor for a quick, efficient and consistent grind. With the easy, one-touch operation you can enjoy a fresh cup of Joe anytime, anywhere.
- FULL FLAVOR: Compact capacity grinds up to 2. 5 oz. of coffee beans to get freshly ground coffee with full-bodied flavor and better taste. For best results, press the button for 1-3 seconds at a time until desired fineness is reached.
Nothing beats simple operation, especially with just a touch of a button. With Chefman Coffee Grinder not only will you enjoy easy controls, but quality grinding as well, for a very low price. It’s the cheapest on the list and you can have a freshly ground coffee consistent in every grinding cycle.
It has 250-Watt motor and you can get up to 2.5 oz of coffee beans. To get that full-bodied flavor of your coffee, press the button 1-3 seconds and you reach the optimal grind setting. It has a safety lock for added security and it’s cETL approved.
This grinder is very easy to use and clean — grinding cup and blade are dishwasher safe. It’s very compact, at only 3.75 × 9 × 3.75 inches, and handy too, as it weighs only 1.95 lbs. Simply enjoy the process of grinding coffee and the mind-blowing aroma of your favorite coffee beans with this Chefman grinder.
- Working well and has a lot of power
- Compact — saves a lot of counter space
- Used to grind not just coffee beans, but spices and seeds, as well
- Not a long-last coffee grinder
- Could be very messy
- The plastic parts of this machine seem to be cheap
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
Last, but not the least on our list is a conical burr grinder from Capresso. The Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder boasts commercial-grade steel burrs that provide a wide range of precision grinding for all types of coffee brewing method. It has an advanced cutting design for high precision grinding every single time.
Since the upper burr is removable, it’s very easy to clean and remove some residues (if there is) from the previous grinding. As a safety measure, it won’t start grinding until it detects the bean container in place.
You can fine-tune the coarseness of your coffee grounds with the 16 different grinder settings — four sub-settings for extra fine, fine, regular and coarse levels. It has an 8.8 oz clear bean container on top and 4 oz coffee container, this is a must for every coffee addict. It requires 14.60 x 9.60 x 7.80 inches space on your counter and it only weighs 4 lbs.
- No static and it’s probably the cleanest burr grinder
- Acceptable level of noise during grinding
- Consistent coffee grounds, especially for espresso and Turkish
- Not much grip on the coffee grounds container
- Too much coffee grounds stuck in the burr and chute
- Quick to start, it’s hard to set the timer after you start the grinder
How to Choose the Best Burr Coffee Grinders
With so many coffee grinders on the market, it’s hard to choose the ultimate one. However, the following information may help you broaden your understanding of the best burr coffee grinders, so you can narrow down your options.
Manual vs. Electric Coffee Grinders
Perhaps, this is one of the first things you should take into consideration. Do you have the time and interest to grind your coffee every day or you need an electric coffee grinder? As you know, manual burr grinders require more work and participation — good if you are brewing in small quantities. They can consistently give uniform-sized coffee grounds, but don’t have much micro-adjustments, explained Javapresse. Electric coffee grinders are more convenient, easy-to-use, and give you more grinding level options.
Pulse Grind, Timed or Auto-Grind
The most common burr grinders in the market are pulse grind. This means when you push button, your coffee grinds. Release the button and the machine stops. If you want to fully participate in the grinding process, go for such a grinder.
Yet, if you are a busy person or you don’t want to get into the small details of coffee grinding in the morning, go for auto-grind or time grinders. For these machines, you can simply turn a dial (usually time dial), and when it’s done, it’ll automatically stop. Lastly, you don’t even need to think about grinding at all, just set the time when you let it grind and it’ll do so.
Do you need to grind coffee directly into a portafilter or bucket? Is your machine capable of grinding a bucket in one cycle?
If you are preparing coffee grounds for your espresso machine, you should grind beans into your portafilter. Some grinders have a little portafilter rest where you can easily latch the portafilter for a hands-free process, explained Coffee Bros. To be on the safe side, get a coffee grinder that grinds straight into a portafilter and into your coffee bucket.
The last, yet the most important thing to have in a grinder is consistent grinding. No matter how excellent your grinder is in terms of features and versatility if it can’t deliver consistent grinds, it’s garbage. Well, in most coffee brewing methods, consistent coffee grounds pull out great-tasting coffee.
There’s just too much to learn about burr coffee grinders that you can learn from this YouTube video. It gives justification for why burr grinder is better than the traditional grinders. Likewise, you’ll also get a better understanding on which to choose — ceramic or steel burr grinders.
Our Top Pick
While the choice of coffee beans is critical, getting consistent coffee grounds is equally important. You need to get consistent coffee grounds — and, it’s also enjoying doing the coffee grinding yourself. Hence, you need the best burr coffee grinder, like the Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill.
For three things — simplicity, consistency, and beauty, this coffee grinder is undoubtedly the choice of most coffee aficionados. And, you want to see the price tag of this machine — it doesn’t cost you too much.
Although a few users complained about the noise and the mess — it’s normal for coffee grinders. With automatic features and 18 different grinding levels, it’s a great grinder to make varied coffee drinks in the morning.
Today’s Deal on Our Top Pick